In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 24th, 2017, 2:18am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Steg, "Simply the Administrator"...???

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Steg, "Simply the Administrator"...???
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Steg, "Simply the Administrator"...???  (Read 776 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Steg, "Simply the Administrator"...???
« on: Jul 6th, 2008, 5:26am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Okay, let me quote this question from the oh, so beloved, I know, "Paying the Bills" thread, where it's got nary a response, and make a new thread for it...  Incidentally, it curiously speaks to "where we've come" and the measures I'm having to take here in 2008, to note the whopping 739 hits the "Paying the Bills" thread has received vis-a-vis the 20,166 hits the "Interested in becoming a Junior Correspondent" thread has gotten.  It says something about the FF community that I knew back in 2002 when I embarked on this project but didn't heed.  I thought it could be overcome with quality, genuineness, opportunity and the co-op mindset.  It appears I was wrong.

Anyway,... the quote...

on Jul 3rd, 2008, 9:48am, StegRock wrote:
I DIGRESS...
    Based on an e-mail correspondence I just had, I have to ask all you old-time Gridironers this...  I'm curious,... but not unimportantly so, mind you...  Do you think of me as "simply the administrator" of this site???

Your answer...???
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Steg, "Simply the Administrator"...???
« Reply #1 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 3:11pm »

I'm not sure what it is that you're asking here, Steg. I know I've pleaded for pith in the past, but in this case, it's confounded me. I hope I'm not off the mark here, but I'll venture a response...

The simple answer is, no, I do not see you as "simply the administrator" here. When I first joined the site, I saw you as administrator and fantasy football aficianado. As time wore on, I think the labels changed as well. Of course you are still site administrator, but clearly you are colleague and friend as well. I'd still list you as "fantasy aficianado" as well, although at times that seems to take a backseat to "philosopher king."
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 7:04pm »

I have to agree with Philly on this one. My answer is a big, "no".  While I do see you as the man who runs da joint and holds the place up on his shoulders, I don't see you as just the admin man here. You are, like the rest of us, a fantasy football lover and to me, you have become a friend as well.  

While I don't see "The Big Picture" as you like to call it quite the same way as you do, I do believe you are a good person with good intentions for you "baby", as you call it. I can do without a lot of the long intellectual posts about philosophy, becasue that is not my cup of tea, but to each his own. I respect Steg and those who enjoy that kind of banter.  

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
captainpurple
Red Zone Master
# 179

oh Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Norsemen!

folske   casahojo
View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 8th, 2008, 2:51pm »

Considering all the time you put in to run the leagues and add/groom content for the site, I think you're a lot more than just an admin or moderator.  

3 straight underperforming seasons, one nitwit head coach, 2 problem child WRs, 1 collosal trade bungle....but a wild boat party with booze and hookers!!!????? Priceless.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 7:21pm »

FF aficionado, colleague, and friend are all nice descriptions that I am happy to see still exist in Jeff's and Jim's hearts and, despite my extreme frustration at present, backatchya, guys. And, part-time Philosophy blowhard is fair enough, too,... really. For better or worse, it is who I am and that you both mention it in whatever light, not altogether negative actually (heck, Jim even put a positive spin on it, which I appreciate), shows that you two do know me at some level.

That said, Robert hit on where I thought/hoped this would go.  The e-mail that I received that dubbed me "simply the administrator" I, correctly or incorrectly, took, vis-a-vis the specific set of circumstances, to mean "Get over yourself (which, whether I need to do that or not, should not be coming from this person or, frankly speaking, anyone who doesn't truly know someone personally, and fairly deeply at that, and here regarding me that would only apply to the GBRFLers and, perhaps, not even all of them and only a couple others)...  What you are to 'the Gridiron', at least at this point, is just one of the crew."  To the degree that it could be taken that way, I was highly offended.

But, whatever, it was more importantly potentially revealing of a very troubling reality on "the Gridiron". Now, not many have posted to this thread, so I really still don't know (but I think I do).  But, bottom line, surely if dudes are looking at me anymore as "simply the administrator", however they got to that point (i.e. even if it is my "way" that drove them there), it's no wonder people's generosity has plummeted.  I digress...  By way of the parathetical above, I am not suggesting that I am going to change.  I know my way can be rough, but at the end of the day I would confidentally say that those with whom I have become close would say that it is (well) worth it.  It is way tougher to do this by way of a web site and message-board forum, even one that I myself run.  Hence, all the lengthy philosophical ramblings which hit home a little less long-windedly and much more entertainingly in person.  In any event, although I will always remain self-reflective and, thus, seeking to phenomenologically cultivate myself in terms of interrelational action, which necessitates that Wojtylian, Gyatsoian, but mainly Confucian sense of making oneself look good by elevating those around you and "making" them look good, too, rather than making oneself look good by making those around you look bad.  So, I'm not thinking as much about changing my ways as, along the lines of what I wrote in a recent private message, scorching the earth of "the Gridiron" for a new "unspoiled" (in many senses of the word) harvest.  Make no mistakes!  I regret this.  But, all things considered, personal, professional, and as pertains to "the Gridiron", the timing just seems right for such action.

So, while I am pleased to see where Robert took this, in general (i.e. not just regarding him), in terms of putting some "matter"/"substance" to that "form"/"sentiment", I'm still left wondering...
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13th, 2008, 11:40pm »

I kind of avoided answering this question because I don't quite know what a site administrator is or does.  But, here goes anyway . . .

If by "site administrator" you mean "referee writ large" or "moderator," you certainly are not simply the administrator, Steg.  In fact, I would say "administrator" is one of the lower-level descriptions of your role here.  Steg, this site is your baby, or, perhaps, this site is YOU in some weird (non-modern/pantheistic/BS) sense.  You are at the center of every single discussion that takes place on this site.  You are the efficient cause of nearly every important thread.  You not only keep the site afloat via behind-the-scenes administrator details, you breathe life into the Gridiron.  

On top of this, you maintain more than a merely cordial-but-curt relationship (which is the kind of relationship "administrator" brings to mind) with us Gridironers.  You initiate discussions, you wear your heart on your sleeve, you get completely (sometimes, perhaps, too much so ) involved in said discussions, you rail at us when we're indifferent, you thank us when we're not, you beg for help, you reward for labor, etc., etc., etc.  

Gosh, if all this is involved in "simply being the administrator," I suppose it's possible you are "simply the administrator," but then, at that point, it wouldn't be a putdown, but rather a compliment (and, to boot, a very poor descriptor).
Callie
Gridiron Great
# 219

Go, Gridironettes!

calliewall  
View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14th, 2008, 5:20pm »

I just read a book called "It's Not What You Say, It's What They Hear" by Dr. Frank Luntz.  You can probably find it in your local library.  (I got it from mine.)  You've probably seen the author on newscasts where he has an audience watch politicians discussing things while the audience members turn a knob indicating what they like and what they don't like, generating a live chart on-screen.  Like T-Rave, the book makes a good point about how words can have a whole range of meanings, depending on the reader or listener.  And like T-Rave said, the word "Administrator" can have a whole lot of meanings.

Heck, in the business world, "Administrator" can mean a job anywhere between receptionist/secretary all the way up to the people managing the operations, managing the other employees, controlling the finances, heading the planning aspects, or in some cases all of the above.

Based on my own past FF experience, I could call Steg the Gridiron Site Administrator.  That can encompass a lot of things.  And sometimes for fantasy football sites that role is done by one person, other times the duties are divided among a group of people.

In the end, titles don't really matter.  What matters is what you do.

“If life gives you lemons make orange juice. Let the rest of the world figure out how you did it.”
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 14th, 2008, 11:38pm »

Obviously, T-Rave's post made my day, and, as I said above, Jeff and Jim's were very kind and Robert got the point.  I love ya, Callie.  Make no mistakes.  BUT, this post of yours is so "genericized" that I'm not sure it says anything,... moreover, that speaks to what I am asking here...  I mean I do not disagree with the main point.  But, it's off the beaten track of my point, which was to dissect the meaning of "simply the administrator", which I had recently been referrred to as.  My post has nothing to do with "titles".  In fact, it's the "simply" part that took me aback, not so much the "administrator" part.  But, alas, I suppose this very exchange is an object lesson in the point of your post...

on Jul 14th, 2008, 5:20pm, Callie wrote:
I just read a book called "It's Not What You Say, It's What They Hear" by Dr. Frank Luntz. You can probably find it in your local library. (I got it from mine.) You've probably seen the author on newscasts where he has an audience watch politicians discussing things while the audience members turn a knob indicating what they like and what they don't like, generating a live chart on-screen. Like T-Rave, the book makes a good point about how words can have a whole range of meanings, depending on the reader or listener. And like T-Rave said, the word "Administrator" can have a whole lot of meanings.

Heck, in the business world, "Administrator" can mean a job anywhere between receptionist/secretary all the way up to the people managing the operations, managing the other employees, controlling the finances, heading the planning aspects, or in some cases all of the above.

Based on my own past FF experience, I could call Steg the Gridiron Site Administrator. That can encompass a lot of things. And sometimes for fantasy football sites that role is done by one person, other times the duties are divided among a group of people.

In the end, titles don't really matter. What matters is what you do.

That last sentence I love, though!!!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.