In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 22nd, 2017, 9:46am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron George Blanda

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   George Blanda
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: George Blanda  (Read 434 times)
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

George Blanda
« on: Sep 27th, 2010, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This thread could of probably gone under another location, but I think it is worthy of it's own thread to me.....

George Blanda, the greatest fantasy football scorer in history, has passed away.    

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/09/report_george_blanda _dies_at_a.html

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: George Blanda
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 8:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Heck, yea, this deserves its own thread here on "the Gridiron", the flagship league of which is the George Blanda Rotisserie Football League (GBRFL)!  I was home on my short late lunch break today when I heard the news.  I didn't have time to post.  In any case, he was not a player I ever saw play, but his name has been on my lips not a few times and will continue to be.  When we chose the name for the league back in 1993, George Blanda was my choice, but I let everyone give me the name of a player after which they would like the league named.  My, at the time, live-in, very beloved girlfriend, Amy, chastised me to no end for this decision.  She saw all the work I put in and that in any event I was likely to be the one necessary constant in the existence of the league and thought that it at the very least merited naming the league what I wanted.  I still wanted the others to be a part of the decision, though.  So, I threw all 8 names (for the first six years of the league's existence there were 8 teams) in a hat (one - I think it was Tony Dorsett - twice because two people had nominated him).  Miraculously - though I wonder to this day if Amy didn't somehow (I don't how) rig it - I chose George Blanda's name out of the hat and so was born the GBRFL.  A few years later I found great vindication for my, what was thought by some to be, unusual choice of Blanda.  An article was written by Pro Football Weekly magazine declaring him, as Double D pointed out above, the #1 all-time fantasy football player.  That article I still have a link to on the league's home page.  For those interested, here is a link to the GBRFL home page:  http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/gbrfl/index.php, where a link to the article can be found, but, also, here is a direct link to the article:  http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/gbrfl/1998ProFootballWeeklyArticledecla ringGeorgeBlandaBestFantasyPlayerofAll-time.htm.

George, your name will live on here @ FantasyFootballer.com.  Rest in peace, old guy!  You lived a heck of a memorable life, one which inspired this guy right here who never did get to see you play live, but just heard the stories.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.