In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 16th, 2018, 2:12am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron George Blanda

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Co-commissioner Services
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   George Blanda
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: George Blanda  (Read 490 times)
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

George Blanda
« on: Sep 27th, 2010, 5:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This thread could of probably gone under another location, but I think it is worthy of it's own thread to me.....

George Blanda, the greatest fantasy football scorer in history, has passed away.    

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/early-lead/2010/09/report_george_blanda _dies_at_a.html

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: George Blanda
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 8:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Heck, yea, this deserves its own thread here on "the Gridiron", the flagship league of which is the George Blanda Rotisserie Football League (GBRFL)!  I was home on my short late lunch break today when I heard the news.  I didn't have time to post.  In any case, he was not a player I ever saw play, but his name has been on my lips not a few times and will continue to be.  When we chose the name for the league back in 1993, George Blanda was my choice, but I let everyone give me the name of a player after which they would like the league named.  My, at the time, live-in, very beloved girlfriend, Amy, chastised me to no end for this decision.  She saw all the work I put in and that in any event I was likely to be the one necessary constant in the existence of the league and thought that it at the very least merited naming the league what I wanted.  I still wanted the others to be a part of the decision, though.  So, I threw all 8 names (for the first six years of the league's existence there were 8 teams) in a hat (one - I think it was Tony Dorsett - twice because two people had nominated him).  Miraculously - though I wonder to this day if Amy didn't somehow (I don't how) rig it - I chose George Blanda's name out of the hat and so was born the GBRFL.  A few years later I found great vindication for my, what was thought by some to be, unusual choice of Blanda.  An article was written by Pro Football Weekly magazine declaring him, as Double D pointed out above, the #1 all-time fantasy football player.  That article I still have a link to on the league's home page.  For those interested, here is a link to the GBRFL home page:  http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/gbrfl/index.php, where a link to the article can be found, but, also, here is a direct link to the article:  http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/gbrfl/1998ProFootballWeeklyArticledecla ringGeorgeBlandaBestFantasyPlayerofAll-time.htm.

George, your name will live on here @ FantasyFootballer.com.  Rest in peace, old guy!  You lived a heck of a memorable life, one which inspired this guy right here who never did get to see you play live, but just heard the stories.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2018 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.