In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 20th, 2017, 4:18pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron The Last Play of Super Bowl XLIX ...

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   The Last Play of Super Bowl XLIX ...
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: The Last Play of Super Bowl XLIX ...  (Read 753 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

The Last Play of Super Bowl XLIX ...
« on: Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:36am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

... was an entirely reasonable call!  The Seahawks only had 20 seconds left on the clock and one timeout.  If they had run it on that play against a stacked line and did not score, their next play would have been TOTALLY predictable.  It would have almost definitely had to have been a pass.  A run on third down would have been TOTALLY risky.  Only fourth down would have been truly up in the air and kept the Patriots' defense on their heels.

So, by passing it on second down, which was unpredictable as is evidenced by the Patriots' stacking the line, assuming any completion would have gone for a touchdown, they would have been able to remain unpredictable on BOTH third and fourth down because they would have preserved their timeout on an incompletion.  It is just that a guy, Malcolm Butler, made a FANTASTIC, CLUTCH play, and the one bad thing that could happen happened, an interception.  Either a touchdown or an incomplete pass would have been a good outcome for the Seahawks.  Notwithstanding Collinsworth and Michaels's criticism in the immediate aftermath and all the ensuing critiques, the Seahawks went with the odds, and a guy just made a great play against them!
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

Re: The Last Play of Super Bowl XLIX ...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2015, 2:22pm »

This is totally off target about the play in question, just my thoughts of what I would have loved to have seen on SB SUNDAY.  

After the game I really think the NFL, and Tom Brady missed a GOLDEN opportunity... Tom should have found Michelle Tofoya, or any reporter/camera, then  located Richard Sherman and ask him that age old question..."YOU MAD BRO?" LOL

Another great moment that could have been, but TD Tommy isn't that kind of player.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 7th, 2015, 7:18pm »

on Feb 3rd, 2015, 3:36am, StegRock wrote:
... was an entirely reasonable call! The Seahawks only had 20 seconds left on the clock and one timeout. If they had run it on that play against a stacked line and did not score, their next play would have been TOTALLY predictable. It would have almost definitely had to have been a pass. A run on third down would have been TOTALLY risky. Only fourth down would have been truly up in the air and kept the Patriots' defense on their heels.

So, by passing it on second down, which was unpredictable as is evidenced by the Patriots' stacking the line, assuming any completion would have gone for a touchdown, they would have been able to remain unpredictable on BOTH third and fourth down because they would have preserved their timeout on an incompletion. It is just that a guy, Malcolm Butler, made a FANTASTIC, CLUTCH play, and the one bad thing that could happen happened, an interception. Either a touchdown or an incomplete pass would have been a good outcome for the Seahawks. Notwithstanding Collinsworth and Michaels's criticism in the immediate aftermath and all the ensuing critiques, the Seahawks went with the odds, and a guy just made a great play against them!

Okay, I stand by what I say there, but after some conversations about this I do concede that the pass should not have been a short one into the crowded middle of the field.  A bootleg would have made sense.  It would have given Russell options, including just throwing the ball away easily.
Travistotle
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 15th, 2015, 12:07am »

on Feb 7th, 2015, 7:18pm, StegRock wrote:

Okay, I stand by what I say there, but after some conversations about this I do concede that the pass should not have been a short one into the crowded middle of the field. A bootleg would have made sense. It would have given Russell options, including just throwing the ball away easily.

Right!  I, too, think that the most reasonable non-running play at that point is a naked bootleg.  But if it's a true pass-play, you've got to have some deception in there (if only play-action).  Yikes.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.