In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Nov 18th, 2017, 8:11pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Deflate DeflateGate!

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

Fantasy Football News Feed Co-commissioner Services Add "the Gridiron" to your site
Lend a hand... Make a donation to "the Gridiron"!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Head Linesman, Back Judge, Field Judge, Referee)
   Deflate DeflateGate!
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Deflate DeflateGate!  (Read 598 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Deflate DeflateGate!
« on: May 9th, 2015, 10:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

With the NFL's response to this incident with respect, not to the Patriots and Brady, but the game itself, we see yet again the American progressive proclivity to try to solve problems with the institution of more rules and regulations, authoritative imposition. Is not the best, most easily enforceable solution to this matter to just distribute the league-sanctioned balls and let each team inflate them however they like? You want to play with it flat, go for it. See how that goes?! Bottom line, an inflation range of the balls will naturally emerge. That range will be wider than what the NFL probably allows. But, who cares? It will likely only serve to further optimize player performance and, thus, the game. Why does the NFL feel the need to mandate an artificial narrower range? Why is the answer always more laws? Why do humans feel the need to impose on others when they themselves loathe being imposed upon? We so badly need a turn away from puritanical progressivism, but I digress.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2015, 6:29pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14
# 5

View Profile

Re: Deflate Deflategate!
« Reply #1 on: May 10th, 2015, 9:02pm »

on May 9th, 2015, 10:23pm, StegRock wrote:
With the NFL's response to this incident with respect, not to the Patriots and Brady, but the game itself, we see yet again the American progressive proclivity to try to solve problems with the institution of more rules and regulations, authoritative imposition. Is not the best, most easily enforceable solution to this matter to just distribute the league-sanctioned balls and let each team inflate them however they like? You want to play with it flat, go for it. See how that goes?! Bottom line, an inflation range of the balls will naturally emerge. That range will be wider than what the NFL probably allows. But, who cares? It will likely only serve to further optimize player performance and, thus, the game. Why does the NFL feel the need to mandate an artificial narrower range? Why is the answer always more laws? Why do humans feel the need to impose on others when they themselves loathe being imposed upon? We so badly need a turn away from puritanical progressivism, but I digress.

Hmmm....  why do we need rules?   The better question is why did the NFL say every team can inflate their own balls.  Why not just have the same balls every team uses.    

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 10th, 2015, 11:25pm »

on May 10th, 2015, 9:02pm, DirkDiggler wrote:
The better question is why did the NFL say every team can inflate their own balls.

I can imagine why the NFL went in this direction, but, in any event,...

Quote:
Why not just have the same balls every team uses[?]

... this does not really solve anything. It just pushes the proverbial bulge in the carpet. It does not eliminate the problem. It just moves the culpability to the officials, such that now the officials would be the center of a scandal involving the condition of the balls. Again, I digress... It is interesting to me (as a philosopher-wanna-be) how humans tend towards thinking that solutions have to come in the form of the addition or expansion of rules instead of the removal of rules. Indeed, the problem here, I am arguing, is strictly a function of a needless rule. In this case, to get rid of the rule is to get rid of the problem.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2015, 11:26pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 11th, 2015, 12:33pm »

Why can't we have stick-um anymore? Why can't the OL use silicone or some other slippery substance on their jerseys? Why do we use a different Kicking ball? Why can't teams pump in fake crowd noise? Why can't players use steroids or HGH? Why can't opposing teams film opponents practices? Why is it that when a person smacks you and you punch them back you get suspended? Why is it that when you discipline your child the way you were brought up you get suspended for year? But I too digress.  

BTW Brady and Peyton Manning asked for and received the right for league wide visiting teams to prep their own balls for the game. Prior to that it was the home team that was responsible for all balls.
I'm sure that none of these subjects are related, or are they all related?  
Either way I think Brady will get a 2-6 game suspension, then an appeal with reduction.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 11th, 2015, 6:25pm »

on May 11th, 2015, 12:33pm, DOLFAN wrote:
Why can't we have stick-um anymore? Why can't the OL use silicone or some other slippery substance on their jerseys? Why do we use a different Kicking ball? Why can't teams pump in fake crowd noise? Why can't players use steroids or HGH? Why can't opposing teams film opponents practices? Why is it that when a person smacks you and you punch them back you get suspended? Why is it that when you discipline your child the way you were brought up you get suspended for year? But I too digress.

Just because some rules are appropriate does not make ALL rules appropriate... or necessary.
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

Re: Deflate DeflateGate!
« Reply #5 on: May 11th, 2015, 10:46pm »

So true Steg, yet they are still the rules that ALL teams/players must follow adhere to or there will be consequences for breaking them, like we saw today.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Deflate DeflateGate!
« Reply #6 on: May 12th, 2015, 12:42am »

on May 11th, 2015, 10:46pm, DOLFAN wrote:
So true Steg, yet they are still the rules that ALL teams/players must follow adhere to or there will be consequences for breaking them, like we saw today.

I agree.  I am not saying Brady and the Patriots should not be punished.  But, I am saying that the solution to this for the league moving forward is not adding or adjusting the rules, but removing the rule.  Poof... Problem eliminated!  Is this not a reasonable suggestion?
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright 2002-2016 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.