In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Mar 29th, 2024, 1:54am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron How do you know you're in a deeeeeeeep keeper ?

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Outside the Lines
   Forum Archives
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   How do you know you're in a deeeeeeeep keeper ?
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: How do you know you're in a deeeeeeeep keeper ?  (Read 3531 times)
Chumpzilla
Red Zone Master
# 203

"I Love The Gridiron"

View Profile

Re: How do you know you're in a deeeeeeeep keeper
« Reply #25 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 11:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Oct 20th, 2006, 10:11pm, StegRock wrote:

In any event, on a number of fronts, last year wasn't the year to get in the Ricky ballgame

So when I took a chance two years ago and got fucked it wasn't the time...  and last year when BW took a chance and got fucked it wasn't the time... BUT this year, it's worth the gamble???    Good Luck!  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #26 on: Oct 20th, 2006, 11:28pm »

TWO years ago,... no...  That came out of NOwhere (though, given his history in general, I don't know if I would have traded for him)...  Last year,... with a new coach spending a high draft on a tailback with whom he is familiar, the atrocious thing he did to the team just a year prior, the fact that he was probably not in the best football shape, etc., etc.,... no, it wasn't an "auspicious" time to get on the Ricky bandwagon (especially if he was being traded for).
Chumpzilla
Red Zone Master
# 203

"I Love The Gridiron"

View Profile

« Reply #27 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 10:50am »

Can anyone tell my "Ricky" scars haven't healed yet?  

Regardless of what happens, it's a shame he didn't "stay the course."  Before he got "screwed up" he was a stud RB.
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #28 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 12:55pm »

I think the important point everyone is overlooking here is the fact that we picked him up for FREE. We didn't have to use a draft pick, or lose anything substantial in a trade to get him, all it took was a roster spot. That's it. In my case, I dropped a 3rd string QB that has yet to play this season, and as Philly stated, probably had no business being on my team to begin with. I drafted Ramsey as insurance for Pennington, but he failed to land the back up job, and that made him extremely expendable. A RB with Williams' track record, both good and bad, is well worth the "risk" of picking him up. What's the worst thing that can happen? He doesn't come back to the NFL? He comes back and sits on the bench? He just plain sucks? So what, I'll drop him. Again, what did it cost me? Now think of the (very possible) upside. A starting RB for a 3rd string QB.

LOW RISK + HIGH REWARD = GOOD MOVE  
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #29 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 1:50pm »

Ah, but it will cost you a protection spot, if you do decide to keep him. Therein lies the cost.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #30 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 1:52pm »

Opinions are like assholes...eveybody's got one. You also have become quite a big one, and let's just say, I am not the only one who's noticed. Have a GREAT DAY!!!

on Oct 20th, 2006, 10:11pm, StegRock wrote:

No...  Fuck the "talk"...  IF he makes a strong comeback next year (a BIG "IF", I grant), I won't just be talking about it (I probably won't bring it up again), he'll be having his strong comeback on my team.  In any event, on a number of fronts, last year wasn't the year to get in the Ricky ballgame (read, VERY risky business; that had to be known).  He was good earlier in his career, and I think he is WELL worth taking a flyer on now... in a DEEP keeper league.

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2006, 1:53pm by BarnabyWilde » Logged

Chumpzilla
Red Zone Master
# 203

"I Love The Gridiron"

View Profile

« Reply #31 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 5:21pm »

on Oct 21st, 2006, 12:55pm, Walker Boh wrote:
I think the important point everyone is overlooking here is the fact that we picked him up for FREE.  

Nope!  Trust me.  I'm not missing the point.  In most cases, you get what you pay for.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #32 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 6:42pm »

on Oct 21st, 2006, 1:50pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
Ah, but it will cost you a protection spot, if you do decide to keep him. Therein lies the cost.

If at that point he's worth protecting, it'll have been well worth it.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #33 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 7:06pm »

on Oct 21st, 2006, 1:52pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
Opinions are like assholes...eveybody's got one. You also have become quite a big one, and let's just say, I am not the only one who's noticed. Have a GREAT DAY!!!

Wow!!!  What a statement to greet me with...  This is REALLY lowdown... and duly noted...  It's a statement I'll definitely look back upon at certain times in the future to "remind myself"...  "All things 'considered'" here today, I even shared this one with my wife.  She just shook her head (and gave me some sound advice)... Anyway, that's a really terrible and discouraging statement...  I'd like those people who think I've become such a "big asshole" (as to merit being greeted by this kind of vitriole) to really look into their hearts and really think whether or not that's a fair and accurate depiction of me (to have deeply-seated in your heart and mind)...  Since we're at it, though, would any of these ("droves" of) "others" want to step up and take a whack at the old Stegger, too??? Or, maybe it's just the lack of people who will get my back here that proves Jim here right... Wow...  What an awful, awful thing to have said...  It was meant to be seriously hurtful and really nothing else!!!  Why you would want to do that to me I can't fathom?!?!

This is surely NOT what I do all this for!!! ...
« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2006, 7:34pm by Stegfucius » Logged
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 7:53pm »

It was not meant to be hurtful, just an truthful observation.Sometimes, I do feel like you are just a big jerk who does not listen to anybody's opinions when it comes to this website.  And given our recent PM conversation...well, that just made me angry, given how much I put into "your" site...and feel I got shafted, once again. Then, you go and make a smart ass remark about me to stop bitchin about being in the bottom five in the GBRFL2. Thanks for that too.  

Bottom line, you can sit there and berate someone and make them feel 2 inches tall, with your big words and all, but then when someone goes and makes comments in your direction, then they are hurtful statements. Then, you need people to rally behind you and "get your back". Well, I have been that person time and time again.  It works both ways, my friend.

MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #35 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 9:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

35 Posts and climbing!!!!!  This is truly amazing...let's try to get it to 100. Wouldn't that be swell!    
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #36 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 10:45pm »

What-the-fuck-ever...  It was subjective, somewhat tendentious (at least, in that it "spoke for uncorroborated others") and ad hominem, and, in any event, you started this when you posted...

on Oct 18th, 2006, 6:34pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
The 4 time champ can K. M. A.  

Before that, I made two posts stating my case and relevant facts of the matter to support that case,... period, end of report,... whether or not you or anybody likes that case or those facts.  They are what they are.

And, my shit's just potent because I have a memory like an... and it rings true to, not my words, but the words of the person I am challenging (ultimately, to think more seriously about their words and actions).  You know I am a watch for consistency (of personality) and am into keeping people on their toes with respect with what they decide to put in print.  I want people to make sure they make sense.  I don't just make unsupported, ad hominem attacks.

Now, regarding what you wrote above with more specificity...

on Oct 21st, 2006, 7:53pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
It was not meant to be hurtful, just an truthful observation.

Subjective and I suspect VERY biased for some reason that I don't quite know yet, but seems to be coming to a boiling point (which I fear the potentially devastating effects of) because you've been "different" with me for some time.

Quote:
Sometimes, I do feel like you are just a big jerk who does not listen to anybody's opinions when it comes to this website.

Ad hominem attack number two...  And, where have I heard this kind of rhetoric before???  And, what does it really mean???  I mean... really???  You got a secret up your sleeve about how to make the "big strides" around here, like getting financing for the magazine, you want me to hear???  By all means, lay it on me!!!

Basically, by and large, I find that people who have this attitude are those who start believing their "headlines" and get too big for their britches.  I mean...  You do do and have done quite a bit for the site, Jim...  Thank you! If you think you are "owed", though,... even though I look forward to someday giving back to those who have stepped up to the plate for me,... that's ultimately the wrong attitude (to have with me).  (Let me tease this notion out... with an example I recently used in a Confucianism seminar regarding the attitudes parents and children should have toward one another.  This won't directly map onto our discussion here, but it will provide a good analogue.  Parents should not expect their children to take care of them during their old age, BUT should be open to their children's doing so.  Likewise, children should feel like they should take care of their parents in their old age, BUT should be open to their not having to do so. ... You follow...???)  Anyway, Jim, if you feel like you are doing too much and not getting enough in return, perhaps you need to cut back on what you are doing around here, and, frankly speaking, friend, whatever you do, do NOT send another donation, not if it's going to be part (and perhaps parcel) of this angst of yours towards me.  ...  As a matter of fact, though, those who do do more, should have a much greater appreciation of ALL I do and have done...  I mean... you have done quite a bit...  How do you think it stacks up against what I do and have done percentage-wise, though???

Patience is a virtue...  There is a time and place for everything.  But, if you burn your bridge before that time and place has arrived,...

Quote:
And given our recent PM conversation...well, that just made me angry, given how much I put into "your" site...and feel I got shafted, once again.

If you were so angered by this reply of mine,...
on Oct 20th, 2006, 10:05pm, admin wrote:
IF what he was proposing comes to pass, given the "scope" of his project vis-a-vis, let's say the GOTG, I felt it was a good move for the "greater good" of the site to let their board be on top.  BUT, as I have stated in the "Locker Room", I have a feeling I'll be deleting it here soon enough.  Thank you for your anticipated understanding, though.

Out,
Steg

...I can't help that.  Again, (I suspect) there is WAY more going on here,... which I am just seeing the outer skin of, but which I am SURE I don't want to experience the full brunt of (because it is going to take way too many hours of my life trying to disabuse, at least in the right manner).

In any event, since we are "deferring" to "unknown others",... which I truly hope aren't in fact just a couple of guys fueling each other's fires,... let me say that there are also "others" who understand quite well, from the "bigger picture" perspective, why I had decided to do what I did.  (That's also not to mention that, if you think this "argument" all the way through, the NAFFLIU's board should probably be listed above the GoTG's.  The NAFFLIU and its board, though it is rarely used, have been in existence way longer than the GoTG, and they have a web site of their own and are part of the (granted, back-burner project of the) FFLA.)  In any event, though, after feeling badly all last night about how you felt (rightfully or not) about what I did, I came to a fair-minded (though, really unnecessary) resolution and spent a good hour and a half making it a reality.  YOU're welcome!  (Don't worry...  Given your frame of mind, I didn't expect a thanks.)

BUT, at any rate, ULTIMATELY, "it" and the decisions I make for the betterment and future of this site are NOT about you, Jim.  When people start thinking that it is "about them", that's when angst builds up like it has here.

Oh, and by the way, it is you, NOT me, who has opened the doors to the discussion of our "private messages".  So, don't go pulling some backdoor bullshit on me.  I'm not going to let you just bring it up in an ad hoc and tendentious way in public,... especially not when I went to great pains to "make it right" (even though I should not have been made to feel like what I did was otherwise).

Quote:
Then, you go and make a smart ass remark about me to stop bitchin about being in the bottom five in the GBRFL2.

As I stated above, you left yourself open to such a move.  If you can, take that (important) lesson as a lesson learned and grow from it... or not.

Quote:
Bottom line, you can sit there and berate someone and make them feel 2 inches tall, with your big words and all...

"Revealing..."

Quote:
...but then when someone goes and makes comments in your direction, then they are hurtful statements.

They are hurtful in that they truly are ad hominem,... extra bothersome in that they are not well-founded or -thought-through... or, at least, -presented.

Quote:
Then, you need people to rally behind you and "get your back". Well, I have been that person time and time again.  It works both ways, my friend.

It does work both ways.  You get my back.  I'll get yours.  This is not a case of that, though.  It's not that you do things for me and the site, including get my back (sometimes of your own accord, going back in time, but rarely unpromptedly... anymore), and I start playing favorites and making "business" decisions based on what (all of) you think I "owe" you.  You do things for the site (and me merely as a matter of fact if you want to get right down to it since I see what you are exhibiting here) strictly out of the goodness of your heart and, maybe, secondarily, with an eye toward the "bigger picture" I am trying so hard to make happen here, BUT NOT with anything specific or "small"/"small-minded"/"petty" (like the order in which the board for the GoTG is listed in the "Affiliate Leagues" section) in mind.  You don't make it tit-for-tat.  You don't even put me in such a position... if you have any "bigger picture" respect for my efforts here... even if not or no longer for me as a person.

« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2006, 7:18am by Stegfucius » Logged
Frog Princess
Head Coach
# 577

View Profile

« Reply #37 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:04am »

You are young, my son, and, as the years go by, time will change and even reverse many of your present opinions. Refrain therefore awhile from setting yourself up as a judge of the highest matters.
    Plato (427 BC - 347 BC), Dialogues, Theatetus
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:05am by Frog Princess » Logged

Cut class, not frogs!

steelkings

Email

« Reply #38 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:14am »

Purhaps if the two of you(BarnabyWilde,Steg) would act more like our subject:

I wouldn't have to read Plato on the GBRFL2 website!
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #39 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:24am »

Well, I am done here(on this thread). Thank you for moving my board Steg. I do appreciate your efforts. Sorry if I ruffled a few feathers here guys. I am just very fustrated.

Sincerely,

BW

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 12:34pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:24am, BarnabyWilde wrote:
I am just very fustrated.

As it concerns matters here,... about what???  Get it out of your system now (if you haven't already (I'm guessing not and, thus, that we've just pushed the bulge in the carpet to a different time and place betwixt which you are not going to have one kind or compassionate word for me, earthquakes inclusive, as you "walk the line" gritting your teeth)).  (If it happens to involve StegsList.com, I'd suggest having a sit-down with Gene Nestro, Primer.  He'd be able to shed some light and save me the effort of having to do so.)  As it doesn't concern matters here,... best of luck working it out.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:07pm »

Sorry I'm getting here so late, but I've been away from the computer all weekend and only catching up on things now.

As another long-timer here who feels he has put in a fairly significant amount of effort in helping to provide content (articles, weekly reports, message board posts, etc.), not to mention a fairly significant amount of other assistance in the form of donations, I have to agree with BW here somewhat. There have been some changes in attitude in you Steg, over the recent past. And Jim and I haven't been "fueling each others fires". I've become frustrated with some of your responses and your general attitude lately, and merely shared an "Is it just me?" type of email with him late last week. That email may have prompted him to post what he did, knowing he wasn't alone in his thoughts.

I'm starting to wonder if this is becoming less and less a fantasy football site and more a place for Steg to tell people how to think and act. I understand how important philosophy and the idea of "thought" is to you, but you seem to be unable to separate it from much else.

I guess Jim and I have more to gain (and lose) than most others here on the site because we've probably been more involved in a lot of the things going on since the beginning. I'm certainly not trying to take away from what you've done, but it is your site after all (a point which you're happy to share).  

Maybe it's just that we (and I shouldn't be speaking for Jim here, but I sort of read that from his responses) don't feel any sense of ownership of anything here. If I share a thought about something to possibly improve the website, it seems like it's not welcome--just more of a burden for you. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one real suggestion I specifically made that was implemented (taking the borders off the list of team reports above). When I ask questions about some methods to reduce the spam (something that we find quite irritating), I get it thrown back in my face. I provided quite a bit of content at one time, but you made it fairly clear to me that the content alone wasn't worth as much as a check.

I think maybe it might be a good time for you to really look in the mirror and ask yourself some questions about the people you're hoping to surround yourself with to bring the site to greater heights, and also think about how you're treating them.
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:09pm by Philly » Logged
captainpurple
Red Zone Master
# 179

oh Lord, deliver us from the fury of the Norsemen!

folske   casahojo
View Profile

« Reply #42 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:14pm »

Wow....

I certainly didn't mean to stir up this kind of hornets nest.  I was just observing the humor inherent in our obsessive sport, and pointing out the pickup in relation to a conversation happening in other parts of the GridIron:  

Holding Out Some Hope...

Sorry it's come to this, and hopefully you ALL know this didn't start with malicious intent.  

Now, whose got my lute and kumbaya lyrics?    

3 straight underperforming seasons, one nitwit head coach, 2 problem child WRs, 1 collosal trade bungle....but a wild boat party with booze and hookers!!!????? Priceless.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 2:36pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2006, 1:07pm, Philly wrote:
As another long-timer here who feels he has put in a fairly significant amount of effort in helping to provide content (articles, weekly reports, message board posts, etc.), not to mention a fairly significant amount of other assistance in the form of donations, I have to agree with BW here somewhat.

What's the somewhat part???  I've heard the "some" part...  What's the "what" part???  Just to keep things "fair" and "balanced".  I wasn't the one calling anyone an, and I quote, "asshole" and "big jerk".  Find me doing so once, Jeff,... EVER!!!

Quote:
There have been some changes in attitude in you Steg, over the recent past.

That's good to know I'm growing,... but,...

Quote:
I've become frustrated with some of your responses and your general attitude lately, and merely shared an "Is it just me?" type of email with him late last week. That email may have prompted him to post what he did, knowing he wasn't alone in his thoughts.

I thought you said, "Jim and I haven't been 'fueling each others fires'." What you say there is exactly stoking the fires.

Yous know what...  I've been frustrated with some of you guys' responses and general attitude with me lately.

"You've become frustrated with MY responses..."  How droll?  You mean the fact that I participate religiously on your "Gridiron Guarantee" threads when you, I believe, have yet to on "the Red Zone PRIMED Players and Mirages" threads, which is supposed to be a "duty"!?!?  You mean the kudos I just gave you earlier today on the "Eagles In-season Report" thread.  You mean all the thanks I give you guys.  How about the "Go Rutgers" post I made, mainly for you, up on "the Sidelines"?  On the other hand, I received more e-mails, phone calls, private messages and even posts right up on the boards here from friends and family expressing concern last week given the earthquake.  How about the two guys conspicuously absent from any of that?  NARY A WORD of kindness or concern from either of you!!!  Instead, actually, in the case of Jim, some bullshit is what I got last week.

In your case, Jeff,... really,... you haven't been the same with me ever since we went at it over that college chick story I told back in the day.  That's fine.  We live and learn about one another.  But, though my knowledge has, my attitude toward you has really never changed (we'll get to the suggestion stuff below).  I get your back... like with Bill, but you don't even appreciate it or, at least, you appreciate it only in a very guarded fashion.  On the other hand, you barely give me a thank you anymore, at least one that isn't either obviously reluctant or immediately "mitigated".  For example, herein, you write, "I'm certainly not trying to take away from what you've done," and then go on to write, "but it is your site after all (a point which you're happy to share)."  Virtually nothing sincerely positive comes from you to me anymore.  It's ALL guarded!

Now, granted, we have some fundamental different attitudes when it comes to the hobby.  You are VERY invested in rookie analysis and the NFL Draft.  It's a part-time job of yours.  I just don't think rookies and analysis thereof and, hence, the NFL Draft are that important when it comes to (efficient) fantasy football analysis.  That's a sticky point, man,... a point in which you are HEAVILY invested and on which we seriously disagree.  This, I am sure, is in your craw.  But, the disagreement isn't going anywhere.  I'm unlikely to be converted (but I never say never), and I have no interest in changing your mind.  I'm cool with the work you do in that direction.  But, it doesn't mean I am going to remain absolutely silent about it (the irony).  And, there are other differences, some just as poignant as this one.  But, I can let bygones be bygones.  Neither they nor any more "philosophical" disagreements we've had will change my overall attitude toward you in an overarching way.  What I mean is, though I will go at it with you over this or that, having it out with you over this or that will not prevent me from extending the peace pipe and, for example, rooting for and acknowledging in public your Rutgers Scarlet Knights.  But, was your angst part of your not expressing well wishes to me last week???  Now, there's a question requiring soul-searching...

Quote:
I'm starting to wonder if this is becoming less and less a fantasy football site and more a place for Steg to tell people how to think and act. I understand how important philosophy and the idea of "thought" is to you, but you seem to be unable to separate it from much else.

(but)...in fact, I haven't really changed in my administration and running of the site at all if you reeeeally think about it.  I think that you all's hubris, in light of your contributions, which you (both) should probably cut down on, that has.

Quote:
Maybe it's just that we (and I shouldn't be speaking for Jim here, but I sort of read that from his responses) don't feel any sense of ownership of anything here.

You "own" your teams in the GBRFL2 and the CBFL.  You "own" your Eagles, Giants, Bengals and Lions reports and fantasy articles.  You "own" that which you've put in,... all of which, you have to remember, no matter how "much" it is, still only represents a fraction of what is "done" here.  It just is what it is, man!

Quote:
If I share a thought about something to possibly improve the website, it seems like it's not welcome--just more of a burden for you. Off the top of my head, I can only think of one real suggestion I specifically made that was implemented (taking the borders off the list of team reports above). When I ask questions about some methods to reduce the spam (something that we find quite irritating), I get it thrown back in my face. I provided quite a bit of content at one time, but you made it fairly clear to me that the content alone wasn't worth as much as a check.

Believe it or not, I hear you here, man.  But, it is what it is.  I am at the point where I really NEED revenue to get this thing where I want it (i.e. cutting some checks for those who are in the trenches with me).  But, to the degree that this sentence may seem to suggest (to an outsider looking in) that I am a money-grubber,... come on!!!

This also speaks to the "kind of" suggestions you ask me to take care of.  I mean,... come on, Jeff.  I'm incorporating people's stuff all the time.  Even despite patting our new member Froggy on the back, but, in true Steggy fashion, slapping her in the face on the way in, I went out and got her a couple "alien" smilies that she wanted.  Unpromptedly, I added the "spock" graphic steelkings used for me.  I have and have not purchased domain names based on you all's thoughts and I did add a "meta keywords" phrase to my pages based on a search-engine optimization suggestion you made.  There are graphics of yours, Jeff, on this site.  Back in the day, when the suggestions were more modest, regarding basic font, background, table and cell colors and appearance, graphics, smilies, and basic features, you (all) made a HUGE difference.  I just do it very seamlessly... in a sense, and (I think) you are forgetting, and to be honest, the more technical the "work" gets, which is getting to be more and more so the case, the more seamless it ALL is.  These days, the suggestions you make aren't so simple for me to deal with/implement, and I don't necessarily want to have to explain myself all the time.  There are just some things (like upgrading the forum, which is going to be a nightmare as things stand given the manual tweaks I've made and lack of regular upgrades I've been able to make) that aren't going to happen until I can afford to have a professional come in and do them for me.  Furthermore, your approach in bringing some of these things up is, well, lacking.  One time you suggested a security measure (in light of all the spammers we're attracting as of late) and in doing so gave me an entire in-service on my administrator control panel here... as if I don't have every nook and cranny of it memorized like the back of my hand AND as though I don't know the options I do have, which I had mentioned I would eventually do, but haven't just yet... for reasons I don't feel like having to explain nor should I have to.  What's happening, though, is that you are filling in the gap there negatively, instead of giving me the benefit of the doubt.  Furthermore, when I do mention something, like in this situation, leave it alone after that.  I said there was a move I would make.  When you push me on it, seemingly forgetting that I said there was a move I would make and giving me a lesson in the program I have come to know inside and out, it's going to rub me the wrong way.  Bottom line, if a good suggestion doesn't get done or I respond negatively to it or, for that matter, anything "progessive" isn't getting done without even being suggested, there's probably good reason.  To think otherwise is to insult my intelligence and, moreover, my LOVE of this site, this BABY of mine (make no mistakes that is what this is for me; when you all are looking your newborns and toddlers in the eyes, something that is announced all the time, a family of my own is on hold, part and parcel because of this venture... and my philosophy on bearing and rearing children).  I have NOTHING but the best of intentions for the site.  But, one man with a thin wallet (and that's including a solid year of donations here) can only DO so much (just writing this is taking me more than 90 minutes,... during HOT football action where I (think I) am kicking ass, which is what this is supposed to be about about (right?),... but I STILL have the transactions for the week for the two leagues STILL AHEAD of me here this morning ).  That said, differences ARE still being made.  A security move to dissuade spammers is on the horizon (I'm holding off for a reason), and small things such as "meta keywords" as I mentioned above come out of your suggestions.  Some of the stuff you are suggesting, though, just isn't (reasonably) doable given our current circumstances.

Quote:
I think maybe it might be a good time for you to really look in the mirror and ask yourself some questions about the people you're hoping to surround yourself with to bring the site to greater heights, and also think about how you're treating them.

And, you and especially Jim here, don't!?!?

I do EVERYDAY, Jeff!!!  If there is really any "change" (I'd call it "growth"), it's precisely because I do... JUST LIKE I DID WHEN I "SUBSTANTIVELY" BEAT MYSELF UP ALL NIGHT LONG THE OTHER NIGHT REGARDING THE FUCKING PLACEMENT OF THE GoTG BOARD AND MADE A SOLID 90 MINUTES OF EXTRA (UNNECESSARY) "WORK" (yea, "work", Jeff) FOR MYSELF THAT I NEEDED LIKE A HOLE IN MY HEAD,... BUT I GOT SOMETHING DONE (that I am happy about and happy that Jim is happy about)!!!

I really think you (guys) are losing sight of the "bigger picture"... perhaps out of impatience, perhaps because you feel like you are giving too much (which, I, again, even if it causes a slight regress, HIGHLY suggest your cutting back on if it is causing this skewed perception of me and this angst).
« Last Edit: Oct 22nd, 2006, 3:03pm by Stegfucius » Logged
steelkings

Email

« Reply #44 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 8:45pm »

You guys shouldnt be doing this here on the public board. Thats what PM's are for. Your embarrassing each other and getting nothing accomplished in the process. The three of you have been around too long to be throwing stones at each other in front of everyone.  

Move on!

Just my two cents
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #45 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:12pm »

I tend to disagree with you, sk.  First of all, I am not embarrassed at all by anything I've expressed herein.  I mean... I see where you are coming from,... in general, but especially when it comes to name-calling.  HOWEVER, I know I have no problem with what I've stated herein and will stand by just about every word of it, and I think it's important for you all to get to know who I am... for better or worse.  This is surely a way to do so.  These types of situations also allow me to further establish what I want to be the precedent this site is guided by.  Besides that, I think that to get things out in the open, moreover, "out in the open" can be a healthy exercise.  How people act in front of others is very telling and something, as a guy intending on turning this into a full-fledged business with offices someday, is interested in observing.  Furthermore, in these forum environments, correspondence that goes on privately can get twisted and brought up in VERY tendential ways at calculated times in public and then the casualty count can become worse.  Also, I, personally, don't mind having public record of such occurrances.  I, at times, decide to take on certain "discussions" by private message.  I think, for my intents and purposes, I have a reasonable pulse on when and where to "do my thing", i.e., I can behave myself, mommy.
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #46 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:34pm »

Wow BW, that was way out of line. Did Steg really deserve that? Here? At the very least, you could have sent him a private message, or even better, given him a call. Is your relationship with him really that meaningless to you? If this was my website, and you were working for/with me, I would kick your ass to the curb, and you'd deserve it. You and Philly seem to think that Steg is changing, but I just don't see it. I see the same fantasy football and philosophy geek that I've seen from day one. A guy that believes in what he writes, and expects others to be accountable for their words and actions. A guy that busts his ass to grow our site "the right way". A guy that deserves better then the shit you just pulled. Your complete lack of respect is unacceptable in my book. Though unfortunately, doesn't surprise me anymore.
Frog Princess
Head Coach
# 577

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:09pm »

Quote:

....I wouldn't have to read Plato on the GBRFL2 website!

There's a lot more where that came from!  

Cut class, not frogs!

Tony_O

Email

« Reply #48 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:23pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2006, 10:34pm, Walker Boh wrote:

Wow BW, that was way out of line. Did Steg really deserve that? Here? At the very least, you could have sent him a private message, or even better, given him a call. Is your relationship with him really that meaningless to you? If this was my website, and you were working for/with me, I would kick your ass to the curb, and you'd deserve it. You and Philly seem to think that Steg is changing, but I just don't see it. I see the same fantasy football and philosophy geek that I've seen from day one. A guy that believes in what he writes, and expects others to be accountable for their words and actions. A guy that busts his ass to grow our site "the right way". A guy that deserves better then the shit you just pulled. Your complete lack of respect is unacceptable in my book. Though unfortunately, doesn't surprise me anymore.

Hey Pot,  

I realize that you must think that BW doesn't deserve the same respect as Steg(and I'm not implying that he does) or you would have IM'd this message to BW. Instead you are doing the same thing you are calling him out for.
       Missing you, Kettle

I think all of the original parties, including Steve, said the things they were FEELING, but might have chosen the wrong time, place, and may have used some misplaced words. I for one have noticed that Steve seems to have been using curse words more frequently(which I wouldn't consider growth), however considering the latest events on his island, these words might have been formed out of the frustration in his mind and not from his heart and soul. That same situation(not the earthquake) probably goes for Jim too. That is my take. Although, it is probably not going to be recieved because unfortunately it seems like Steve would not consider me, someone with the position, standing, or intelligence to enlighten him.
PrimeTime
Fantasy Field General
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '06
# 169

How 'bout them Cowboys!!!

View Profile

« Reply #49 on: Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:26pm »

on Oct 22nd, 2006, 11:09pm, Frog Princess wrote:

There's a lot more where that came from!  

Huh!?!
Pages: 1 2 3 4  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.