In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 2nd, 2024, 9:44am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron ISSUE: Fumbles, RC yds. Bonus, Coach of the Year

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   ISSUE: Fumbles, RC yds. Bonus, Coach of the Year
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ISSUE: Fumbles, RC yds. Bonus, Coach of the Year  (Read 906 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

ISSUE: Fumbles, RC yds. Bonus, Coach of the Year
« on: Jan 6th, 2003, 12:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

What we are currently discussing and voting on...

ISSUE 1 (Fumbles revisited) - Adding "Cumulative fewer Fumbles LOST" (not all fumbles) by offensive players as a single 3-point category.

(Issues 2 & 3 both regard the yardage bonus for receiving.  The ONLY difference is in degree.  It is possible for you to vote "Yes"/"No" on BOTH of these issues.  If it comes out to an AFFIRMATIVE tie, we will do a run-off.  VOTING "NO" ON BOTH LOGICALLY MEANS YOU ARE AGAINST CHANGING THE BONUS FROM WHAT IT IS NOW.)

ISSUE 2 - Increasing the yardage needed to get the bonus for "Yards Receiving" from 300 yards to 325 yards.

ISSUE 3 - Increasing the yardage needed to get the bonus for "Yards Receiving" from 300 yards to 350 yards.

ISSUE 4 - "Coach of the Year"...  This year we are going into this without any parameters or criteria other than that YOU CANNOT VOTE FOR YOURSELF.  The way I look at it, we are breaking new ground here and we can set precedent as we go along.  Along these lines, I would REFRAIN from negative arguments.  Try to make your argument in a POSITIVE manner, without slamming someone else's nomination or, moreover, line of reasoning.  So, you are permitted to make whatever cases you want for those you consider to be good candidates.  But, whether you do or don't, I would suggest avoiding supporting just one person publicly on this thread AND I would HIGHLY recommend sending your vote to me on this PRIVATELY by e-mail or by using "the Gridiron" instant messanger.  THIS, for obvious reasons, IS SOMETHING THAT I THINK SHOULD BE TALLIED PRIVATELY.  Also of note, you are not to factor in my commissioner and webmaster duties if you are considering me.  This is strictly about what one has done for his team as a Coach/GM/Owner.

ALL VOTES ON ISSUES 1, 2 and 3 MUST BE SUBMITTED/POSTED NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT (EST) SUNDAY, JANUARY 26TH.

ALL VOTES FOR THE "COACH OF THE YEAR", ISSUE 4, MUST BE SUBMITTED/POSTED NO LATER THAN MIDNIGHT (EST) SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 2ND.
« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2003, 1:23am by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: ISSUE: Fumbles, RC yds. Bonus, Coach of the Ye
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 1:41am »

My votes...

ISSUE 1 - Yes
I have already stated my case on the other thread.

ISSUE 2 - No
ISSUE 3 - No
I simply do not want to change the bonus.  I think 300 is just fine.  It used to be 275 under the original ASG system.  We upped it to 300 a few years back.  Unless someone presents me with some real hard (and convincing) evidence to the contrary, I do not see myself changing my votes, and I am the one who "stares" at the stats week in and week out.  I think 300 yards receiving is fair for the bonus.

ISSUE 4 - "Coach of the Year"...
Four people come to my mind:
First, Rob Pak, who in just his fourth year after being an expansion team, fielded a team that vied for a Championship, a team that came in 9th Place in 2001.  He ended up finishing in 4th Place just out of plaque contention, which, in my opinion, from an emotional standpoint makes him a strong candidate for "Coach of the Year".  He did a great job of being patient (with guys like Trent Green, Kerry Collins, William Green, Michael Bennett and Plaxico Burress) and holding on to key components of his team and maintaining a solid foundation while making great, aggressive additions like Jerry Rice this year.  Patience is a virtue that is not often rewarded.  It should be!
Second, Danny Feder, who could, no, correction would, have probably won his third straight Championship if it were not for a few VERY tight losses, but his biggest loss was that of Donovan McNabb with Marshall Faulk being another huge loss.  Nevertheless, he withstood the storm and only finished one game out of 1st Place.  Also, his draft selections of Hines Ward and Marcel Shipp were arguably the best (VALUE) of the Draft and his pick-up of Jerry Porter was also an impact move by a top team.
Third, Dave Trout, who once again finished a strong Second for the second year in a row and after a lackluster 4 - 8 start which had him in 9th Place.  He also had one of the best value picks of the Draft in Peerless Price.  Tommy Maddox and Marvin Harrison were also very savvy trade acquistions.  Historically, Dave has never finished in a position lower than Third in his eight full seasons with us and maybe it is time to recognize that long-term success which was continued this year.
Last, but definitely not least, and this may be a shocker to some, Doug Owens, who, though he finished with only three wins, did his best with the HORRENDOUS hand of cards he was dealt and in a year where that overnight sensation by way of a big injury really never came to pass.  He remained active all year long, nevertheless, making heady free-agent pick-ups, something many of us have said we want to see out of a bottom team that is having a rough year.  Nothing worse than seeing those good free-agents make it to the top teams.  Doug typically did not let that happen, picking up the likes of Marc Bulger, A. J. Feeley, Koy Detmer, Moe Williams when he was hot, Bill Schroeder and Eddie Kennison.  Not bad for a weak year for free-agents.  If you still don't get it, listen, put yourself in his shoes and think about how you would have participated under such lousy circumstances, and then you will understand my reasoning.  This is a for-fun fantasy football league, not the NFL.  This prize does not have to be just about "the bottom line," hell, I don't think it has to be about it at all.  It is about something more than that and in that sense Doug makes a great candidate for "Coach of the Year"!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 6th, 2003, 8:10pm »

Well...i did a statistical breakdown of the first 7 weeks of the year.  And, interestingly enough, I am going to be changing my decision on the bones yards needed  for receiving.

Why?  Because through 7 weeks, only 26 times did a team get  the bonus for receiving while a team got a bonus for rushing 33 times. (I only measured the bonus ONCE even if a team played a double header.)

So, here are my votes.  

ISSUE 1--YES

ISSUE 2--NO

ISSUE 3--NO
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2003, 8:17pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Pakman
GM
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 16th, 2003, 7:40pm »

I vote:

Issue 1 - Yes

Issue 2 - No

Issue 3 - No

I sent my votes for "Coach of the Year" to Steve by e-mail!
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 12:37pm »

Receiving yards is probably the most unstable of all the categories. The number of receptions is usually low in comparison to carries by a RB so the 100 yard games can be decided in one reception as opposed to churning out 4 yards at a time.
Having 3 of these hundred yard games is hard enough.
I say leave it alone.

1) Yes
2) No
3) No
4) already voted

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 17th, 2003, 12:39pm »

By the way Pak. You're going to have to change your icon. Speedy Gonzalez doesn't become you. Now me on the other hand...it's self explanatory. (Keep all the sex jokes to yourself)

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
IbdFunk
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '97, '00, '01, '11
# 12

No Vaseline for you!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 9:06am »

yes,no,no,Pak
FLESH
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '20
# 66

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 5:32pm »

1 - No
2 - No
3 - No
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15, '17, '19
# 22

9X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2003, 7:34pm »

No, no, no on all the votes.

Coach of the year is a tough one.  I actually put some thought into it.  I considered the increase in wins, transactions and record throughout the year.  That being said, I think it came down to Stegeman, Trout and Pak.  While all three finished near the top, I don't necessarily think "Coach of the Year" needs to.  But I honestly felt that those three did the best job; Stegeman basically went coast to coast, Trout's team make a sick comeback and Pak's team really improved.  In the end though, the league was Stegeman's to lose based on his start and he stepped it up in the end.  No one made a great standout trade or pickup to get my vote.  Stegeman didn't have to... he gets my vote.
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 26th, 2003, 9:46am »

1. yes
2. no
3. no

4. Pak-Patience, depth for the future, and the trade for Rice.

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
dowens11
Tackling Dummy
GBRFLer
# 21

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 26th, 2003, 12:33pm »

1. yes
2. no
3. no
4. Stegman
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 27th, 2003, 1:01pm »

Well, here are the tallies for Issues 1 through 3 (only one of our league members failed to get his votes in)...

Issue 1:  YES - 7
Issue 1:  
No - 2

Issues 2 and 3:  Suffice it to say that NO ONE voted for either Issue 2 or 3, not even the guy who had originally proposed the whole idea.  It is a very DEAD "issue"!

The "Fumbles Lost" category on offense (Issue 1) will be implemented next year and will be added to our "Rules/Scoring" page when I get around to updating the site for the 2003 season.

As for the "Coach of the Year" voting, you all have one more week to either change your vote or submit your vote.  I will NOT, however, announce the winner on this thread or anywhere immediately.  That will be announced when we present the award at the "Summer Meeting"!

Thanks to all who participated in this voting process so far!  Be in touch!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Feb 2nd, 2003, 5:47pm »

I received the following by e-mail.  I thought the thought process , since it is quite insightful and comprehensive, is something you should all be privy to.

Coach of the Year

I have several nominees and good reasons for all of them. It would be fair to say that Stegeman finds ways to mold a core group of players together while tinkering with the outside of the lineup to create a competitive team each year. This year, of course, was no exception. His record and championship says it all.

Doug Owens for sure gets my honorable mention vote for he did a fine job of putting together the best possible squad he could from the dregs we left him and he has created a good core that he can work with in the future. Knowing full well that his team was going to suck, he nonetheless stuck with it and continued to fight throughout the whole year.

Dave Trout has, like Stegeman, always found a way to build a competitive team and keep his core players together. This year, I have never seen such a decimated group of quarterbacks after making trades and he still finds a way to stay super competitive and be right in the thick of things up to the very end.

However, there is one owner I must vote for and while this final vote may send me to an early grave, if I am to be objective in this vote, than I must do what I have to do.

For the past three years, Dan Feder has produced championship teams or near championship teams. While it isn't fair to base this vote on past years' performances, I must take them into account when processing this vote. As I mentioned with Stegeman and Trout, Feder has found a way to have a dominating team for the past 2 years. This year, he again came very close to a championship. He typically has sound drafts and he isn't afraid to make the deal when he has to and pull the plug when it doesn't necessarily fit with what he wants to do.

Don't get me wrong - I like Dan Feder. However, when it comes to fantasy football, he is to me what the Raiders are to the Broncos. However, I must put my GBRFL competitiveness aside for this vote and get credit where credit is due - Mr. Dan Feder, my nomination for coach of the year.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 19th, 2003, 1:26am »

Fellas, just a heads-up here!  The "Rules/Scoring" page at the site has been brought up-to-date, i.e., the "Total Fumbles Lost" rules has been added.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.