In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 1:15am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 2011 Summer Meeting & Draft

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   Featured Leagues
   GBRFL
(Moderator: Stegfucius)
   2011 Summer Meeting & Draft
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2011 Summer Meeting & Draft  (Read 4551 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

2011 Summer Meeting & Draft
« on: May 8th, 2011, 6:23pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on May 7th, 2011, 1:27pm, DB wrote:
Hey guys,  

Did we pick a date for this year's draft last year?  If so, let me know ASAP.

Yo, D, All!

No we hadn't because of 1) the uncertainty about the 2011 season and 2) (as I reminded you in our last conversation) my very tight circumstances this summer based on a) my taking prelim examinations in August, a two-day, 10-hour exam facilitated on Monday, August 15th and Wednesday, the 17th to be exact, and b) my anticipatively having to start work, teaching or whatever, by no later than Monday, August 22nd.  So, we were looking at a VERY tight window within which to schedule the meeting/draft in a way that would make my attendance even possible, though still fairly unlikely.  With that said, my circumstances have somewhat changed, are somewhat changing, such that my visiting New Jersey (and staying for at least a week, thus, making the trip "worth it") for any weekend starting the weekend of August 20th is a possibility, and the situation with the NFL potentially lends us some perhaps much-needed flexibility to help make that happen.  So, if the NFL regular season does get started on time, the weekends of August 20th, 27th and September 3rd are possibilities.  If it does not, the weekends of September 10th, 17th and so on also become possibilities.

Note, though, that I emphasize "possibilities".  The truth is that this year it is unlikely that I will be in attendance.  With that said, I canNOT even think about doing the draft until prelims are out of the way, i.e. not until after August 17th.  That having been said, my guess is that, if this really does end up being a year for which we do not get together, the upside is that doing it solely at a distance via conference call or on-line really opens up possibilities beyond the weekends.  Why not a weekday evening/night if it is going to be over the phone or on-line?  It could even run over a couple evenings/nights if need be.  Anyway, in that case, given what I have stated above, the earliest date we would be looking at is Thursday, August 18th, again, that is for a distance draft.

So, those are the dates to keep in mind.  All in all, including the uncertainty surrounding the NFL, I would actually go against my usual advice this year and suggest that "going with the flow" and being able to adjust a bit on the fly in relation to the unfolding circumstances with the NFL and the Steg probably maximizes our chances of having a timely and successful draft in whatever form it takes but also improves the chances of getting me there, which always serves to enhance the chances of our getting together for it.

In any case, discussion, as far as I am concerned, can commence...  Just please be attentive to the circumstances and according parameters set out above...
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2011, 11:30pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

Re: 2011 Summer Meeting & Draft
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2011, 9:36pm »

Good luck with all that stuff you got going on Steg.    

I can do it long distance....my only restriction is I am out the week before Memorial Day.  Will not even get cell service where we are going.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Pakman
GM
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 10th, 2011, 2:56pm »

I will be on vacation from August 13-20.  Will not be available on those days.
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '95, '98, '08, '09, '10, '13, '15, '17, '19
# 22

9X Ultimate Supreme Champion

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 10th, 2011, 9:27pm »

August 27 is out but the champ should otherwise be around the end of August.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 10th, 2011, 11:12pm »

Okay, fellas, just to recap here...  First off, real quick, thanks to Steve, Pak and DB for responding so quickly and helping me get this narrowed down in as timely of a manner as possible,... and it is quite narrowed down.  Safely assuming Stevo meant Labor Day, in just our first four posts here, one-by-one in consecutive posts, the weekends of July 30th (the absolute earliest we would likely even consider), August 6th, 13th, and September 3rd along with Saturdays, August 20th and the 27th have all been knocked out.  We have also lost all the weekdays through August 19th and those ranging from August 29th through September 2nd.  In terms of weekend days for a "possible" get-together or at least weekend administration of the Draft, all that leaves us with, with any certainty, is Sundays, August 21st and 28th.  So, I am going to now change gears a bit and say that, while I think, as always, that remaining as flexible as possible is a virtue and we should not ignore what alternatives are left (especially given the uncertainty with the NFL), I really think we ought to focus on those two dates; again, they are:  Sunday, August 21st and Sunday, August 28th.
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2011, 11:18pm by Stegfucius » Logged
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: May 26th, 2011, 1:40am »

Sunday, August 21st and Sunday, August 28th.

I am open to either/both of those days...

GO TONY, GO TONY, GO TONY!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 28th, 2011, 1:56pm »

The way the NFL Labor talks are going.....this may all be for nothing.    

Pakman
GM
GBRFLer
# 65

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: May 31st, 2011, 3:04pm »

Sunday, August 28th would be better for me....as long as we still have a football season
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 17th, 2011, 9:36pm »

I have a question Steg...
with no CBA yet, and some chaos for everyone in the NFL, and Fantasy world as well...I need to bring something up to the league ...

When to have CUT DOWNS?? Based on the last 2 years... is it (1 month or 2 weeks) before our draft, that cut downs are ... then the lottery is the very next night.

If we "plan"the draft on Aug 28th , then should we start discussing the "cut-down' date??

So should we discuss August 1st, 2011, or look at around Aug 15th? Something in between?

I'm just trying to keep this moving forward.    
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2011, 9:51pm by DOLFAN » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 17th, 2011, 10:05pm »

on Jun 17th, 2011, 9:36pm, DOLFAN wrote:
I have a question Steg...

If we "plan" on a Aug 28th draft , then should we start discussing the "cut-down' date??

Based on the last 2 years is it (1 month or 2 weeks) before our draft, then the lottery is the very next night. So should we discuss August 1st, 2011.  

I'm just trying to keep this moving forward.    

This was good this was asked NOW.  Regardless of our new approach to the Draft Lottery, the cut-down date has remained ONE WEEK before.  So, if we end up rolling on Sunday, August 28th, cuts would be due on Sunday, August 21st, and the Draft Lottery would take place via conference call sometime during the evening of Monday, August 22nd.  That's that for that.

HOWEVER, the other date currently on the plate is Sunday, August 21st, and that date presents a clusterfuck for me.  Literally, August 14th through the 17th I will be somewhere between half out of my wits and catatonic with no time or, more precisely put, patience to deal with matters of fantasy football.  SO, AND THIS WILL NOT BE UP FOR VOTE (nor would I expect you guys to think it should be given what I have at stake in the real world that week), if we go with that date, things will necessarily have to be adjusted a bit.  I would probably make cuts due on Wednesday, August 17th and have the Draft Lottery on Thursday, August 18th.  PLEASE understand!  Such an adjustment should not be that big of a deal.

Now, later dates may also become a possibility if the NFL gets going late and we adjust on the fly.  So, that is something else to keep in mind.
Travistotle
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
Champ - '06
# 414

Semper Philosophans

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 18th, 2011, 12:05am »

My schedule is wide open.  I can do whatever everyone else decides upon.

(I've got nothing going on until the last week of August . . . well, nothing except finishing a dissertation.  But I can cram fantasy football anywhere into my writing schedule.)

T-Rave
Drew Rosenhaus
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '93, '03, '07, '12, '18, '22
# 54

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 20th, 2011, 4:59pm »

Whatever works best for the group, I will make that Sunday happen. Happy belated Father's Day to everyone -

Mark

She turned me into a newt!
A newt?
I got better. Burn her anyway!
DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 20th, 2011, 11:40pm »

Based oon this, and some others above:  
on Jun 17th, 2011, 10:05pm, StegRock wrote:

This was good this was asked NOW.  Regardless of our new approach to the Draft Lottery, the cut-down date has remained ONE WEEK before.  So, if we end up rolling on Sunday, August 28th, cuts would be due on Sunday, August 21st, and the Draft Lottery would take place via conference call sometime during the evening of Monday, August 22nd.  That's that for that.

HOWEVER, the other date currently on the plate is Sunday, August 21st, and that date presents a clusterfuck for me.  

It is looking like a draft date of Sunday August 28th may be the best choice. Everyone so far seems available for that Sunday except Steve Warner. You said the week before Labor Day wont work for you correct?
What day are you leaving Steve Warner?  

Let's try to keep this moving. Thx.

DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jun 21st, 2011, 7:06am »

on Jun 20th, 2011, 11:40pm, DOLFAN wrote:
Based oon this, and some others above:  

It is looking like a draft date of Sunday August 28th may be the best choice. Everyone so far seems available for that Sunday except Steve Warner. You said the week before Labor Day wont work for you correct?
What day are you leaving Steve Warner?  

Let's try to keep this moving. Thx.

I am at the beach the 27th-September 5th......I do not think my cell will work, I HOPE I have internet.   I will verify.
« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2011, 7:06am by DirkDiggler » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 21st, 2011, 11:45am »

on Jun 21st, 2011, 7:06am, DirkDiggler wrote:
I am at the beach the 27th-September 5th......I do not think my cell will work, I HOPE I have internet.   I will verify.

So, the 28th is potentially not good for you, Stevo?  If this ends up being the case, guys, other than the possibility of adjusting to an extended NFL lockout on the the fly and going with a date after Labor Day, all that would be left is Sunday, August 21st and that slightly modified plan with respect to the cut-down date and lottery that I explained above.  Depending on Stevo's answer to my question here, we may want to let the evenings of Tuesday, September 6th and Wednesday, September 7th start to enter our consciousnesses.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 2nd, 2011, 10:47am »

on Jun 21st, 2011, 11:45am, StegRock wrote:

So, the 28th is potentially not good for you, Stevo?  If this ends up being the case, guys, other than the possibility of adjusting to an extended NFL lockout on the the fly and going with a date after Labor Day, all that would be left is Sunday, August 21st and that slightly modified plan with respect to the cut-down date and lottery that I explained above.  Depending on Stevo's answer to my question here, we may want to let the evenings of Tuesday, September 6th and Wednesday, September 7th start to enter our consciousnesses.

I will be at the beach on the 28th....will probably not have phone.....but have confirmed I will have internet.

DOLFAN
Red Zone Master
GBRFLer
Champ - '16
# 25

I love ''the Gridiron''!

jomrfootbl@aol
View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 5th, 2011, 6:28pm »

I have some news about my flexibility for the draft:

I will not be driving up for the draft, before it was a maybe...also:

I will not be available Sat August 27th after 5pm E.S.T. The draft in My personal league is that night and starts at 6pm.  

I can do Saturday August 27th if we start at Noon, 1PM, 2PM is all OK.  
Also, any other dates and times mentioned can work for me.  
We are about 7 weeks away...are we getting closer to narrowing it down??

FLESH
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '20
# 66

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 2:46am »

Hey guys, Sorry for the late response. The 28th works better for me; but the 21st can work as well. And Joe, stop with the junk email. Over and out!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jul 6th, 2011, 6:27pm »

on Jul 6th, 2011, 2:46am, Flesh is Fantasy wrote:
And Joe, stop with the junk email.

So you received a trade offer too?

FLESH
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '20
# 66

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jul 8th, 2011, 4:53pm »

Wondering if we could maybe get a live feed into Joe's PERSONAL league draft? If the commish could arrange that with Joe's consent, we'd get some additional insight into the mind of this genius.
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

« Reply #20 on: Jul 9th, 2011, 8:38pm »

So are we ready to call August 28 the draft?

On another note, I am watching Gruden's QB Camp on ESPN and am inspired.  I, your first 5X champ, 3X in a row ..... well, you know the extent of the dynasty .... there is no need to repeat it .....  bottom line is that I am totally willing to conduct such a session with you guys to help out anyone that is willing to take a shot at the title.
Art Vandalay
GM
GBRFLer
Champ - '96, '05
# 11

Bow to the master

View Profile

« Reply #21 on: Jul 11th, 2011, 10:04pm »

Dave, I'll take you up on that. Come on down and you can teach me a thing or two about Fantasy Footballer. Then I'll teach you a few things....Cuban style.

28th works for me.

Why don't you just tell me what you want to see.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 2:02am »

on Jul 11th, 2011, 10:04pm, Art Vandalay wrote:
Then I'll teach you a few things....Cuban style.

Oh, for the love of Monica Lewinsky...  Frank's breakin' out the cigar, D. He's lookin' to go deep in your "ova office". Here's to hoping your not anally ovulating at that time. Don't want to be givin' anal birth to a little Jucano.
DB
Fantasy Field General
GBRFLer
# 22

View Profile

« Reply #23 on: Jul 12th, 2011, 1:21pm »

Steve, I think you misunderstood.  I think that by "Cuban style" Frank is offering to COOK me some Cuban steak or chicken on the grill in an effort to congratulate me on my success in this league over the past few years.  It has nothing to do with HIS steak.

On the other hand, now that I think about it, if Cuban style is ANYTHING like our annual pool bball game, then I'll pass.  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Jul 25th, 2011, 4:59pm »

on Jul 25th, 2011, 4:45pm, StegRock wrote:
NFL football is BACK!!! From "The REAL Feed":

NFLPA unanimously approves labor deal
ESPN: NFL (25.07.2011 13:16)
The NFL Players Association executive committee has voted to accept the labor settlement with the NFL, a source said Monday.

With the NFL back in biz, I guess it is time for us to officially declare Sunday, August 28th as the date for our 2011 Summer Meeting & Draft!!!  There actually remains a chance that I will be able to attend, but it is all probably going to come down to the last minute for me.  So, that means that there is also a (very good) chance that we are looking at an on-line/conference-call administration of the meeting and draft.  In any event, per what I have been saying all along, I will not really be "footballing" it until Thursday, August 18th.  So, please keep that all in mind.

Anyway, given a Sunday, August 28th meeting and draft date, CUTS will be due at 11:59 p.m. (EST) Sunday, August 21st and the draft lottery will be done by conference call sometime the evening of Monday, August 22nd!!!  Take note, fellas!!!  In any event, WOO-HOO!  Football is BACK!!!
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.