In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 1st, 2024, 5:43pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Can sense be made of these all-time QB rankings?

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Umpire, Line Judge, Referee, Replay Official, Field Judge, Side Judge, Back Judge, Head Linesman)
   Can sense be made of these all-time QB rankings?
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can sense be made of these all-time QB rankings?  (Read 453 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Can sense be made of these all-time QB rankings?
« on: Feb 19th, 2003, 3:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The likes of Brian Griese, Jeff Garcia, Trent Green, and even Kurt Warner for that matter, broke into the Pro Football Hall of Fame's Top-20 Quarterbacks of ALL-TIME this year! Are you kidding me?  Griese sits at #14! Kurt Warner is #1! Garcia - #4! #13 Trent Green... What the fuck?  There are 4 categories of evaluation.  You think they might want to re-think them?  Anyway, here is the piece from which I got the info:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/news/2003/02/19/alltime_top_20 /.

What is your guys' take?  I think the list itself belies the title of the list.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2003, 3:32am by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

Re: Can sense be made of these all-time QB ranking
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2003, 9:30am »

The QB list is a joke.  Basing it on QB rating with a minimum of 1500 passing attempts is ludicrous.  Rich Gannon had more than 600 passing attempts this year.  At that pace, it would only take 2.5 years to be considered one of the all-time greats...?

I didn't notice Johnny Unitas's name on the list.  He isn't considered one of the top 20 QBs of all time, yet Neil Lomax is?  Brian Griese is?

I think QB rating is a nice way to compare QBs within a season.  Brian Griese wasn't even top 10 in QB rating this season!  Kurt Warner wasn't even on the charts.  I think those ratings are indicative of what kind of seasons they had.  Is Kurt Warner as bad as his numbers this season indicate?  Probably not.  Is he the best all time?  Also, probably not - or at least it is WAY too soon to tell.
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2003, 9:53pm »

Was that list made by 14 year olds?
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2003, 12:46am »

What is the proper way to evaluate players across generations?  A case can be made for evaluating based on pure stats such as this list - it's cut and dry, no real way to argue pure stats.  A better comparison would probably be to compare QBs against their contemporaries to even out differences in playing style, but the truth is that these current QBs may just be better than the old guys.  Is there any doubt that today's players are bigger, faster, and stronger? Truthfully, could Lambert even make a team today - he'd be smaller than most safeties and slower than many linemen?  Is it beyond belief that today's mediocre QBs are better than yesterday's Greats?

Johnny U., Fran Tarkenton, Terry Bradshaw, etc., etc. - make some room in the Hall for Trent Green and Brian Griese.      

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.