In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 30th, 2024, 2:41pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Back Judge, Head Linesman, Referee, Umpire, Side Judge, Replay Official, Field Judge, Line Judge)
   Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site  (Read 5212 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Technical difficulties on "the Gridiron" & Site
« on: Mar 4th, 2003, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Fellas, I just got an instant message from one of our members pointing out his receiving the following error message from time to time these days on "the Gridiron":

Internal Server Error  

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.  

Possible reasons for this error may include:  

1) You have not uploaded your scripts in the right format.  
Upload your scripts in ASCII format, not binary format. This is done with an FTP program.  
Look in your FTP program's help index for "ASCII transfer mode" or "ASCII transfer".  

2) The permissions for your script are not set to executable.  
All CGI scripts must be "chmodded" in order to be executable by the webserver.  
This is also done with an FTP client (such as CuteFTP or WS_FTP).  
Typically, executable file permissions should be set to 0755 or rwxr-xr-x (read, write, execute).  
Look in your FTP program's help index for "chmod".  

3) Your scripts are not configured correctly.  
Make sure that the path to perl in your script is /usr/bin/perl .  
The path to sendmail is /usr/lib/sendmail.  

Following the instructions above usually solves the problem 99% of the time.

This is my message back to him and all of you:

Yea, we're probably startin' to beat the fuck out of my server pretty bad.  I have gotten the same message on occasion, but it usually goes away with one refresh, and doesn't bother me too much... at least not yet.  When the expiration of my account comes up at Hostica in July, I will probably upgrade a level or two.  For the time being, these are just the small nuisances we are all going to have to (potentially continue to) put up with while this remains a totally free site, a fact which I do not see changing until, at best, the 2004 season.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  But, unfortunately the "fix" is out of my hands.  Again, I think it is just because we are pounding this server (in relation to the limits of my current web-hosting plan).  Well, be in touch!

First off, I want to thank the poster who cares enough and took the time to contact me on the issue. And, I appreciate all of your patience. Please always try to keep in mind that I am doing this a) for the love of this hobby, b) as a service to each of you and c) to give you all the opportunity to express your FF views in a fun, but no-nonsense environment as well as the chance to grow from the ground floor up with and influence the growth of our budding site.  I hope to be sharing the "wealth" with those of you who have been around making significant contributions during the early going, these formative stages.  I am...

...Sincerely,
Steve Stegeman a.k.a. StegRock
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2008, 9:16pm by Stegfucius » Logged
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

Re: Slight technical difficulties on "the Gridiron
« Reply #1 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 4:22pm »

I got that message a few times today for the first time, and like you Steve, it went away with one click of the refresh button. No biggie...

And thank you for all of your hard work, keeping this site free, fun, and free of garbage posters!

You rock!!!  

(That's enough butt kissing for one day...)  

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 6:10pm »

No biggie at all. Has occured so few times and always clears with a refresh, I thought it might be my end.  

Great job o' Steggiesan  
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 7:54pm »

Would it help to delete some of the old threads?  Such as the ones....."who should I start this week?? "

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 9:06pm »

and I thought it was just me getting the error messages.... considering my computer has been through every error possible...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 4th, 2003, 10:38pm »

on Mar 4th, 2003, 7:54pm, DirkDiggler wrote:
Would it help to delete some of the old threads?  Such as the ones....."who should I start this week?? "

That could help if I alleviate a significant number of them, BUT given my current schedule I am probably going to hold off from doing that until I can devote the amount of time necessary to do it properly.  I don't want to lose any gems because I did a rush-job!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 5th, 2003, 3:17pm »

OK - Now I'm jealous... all of you are getting these cool error messages EXCEPT me... Don't I deserve them too?

Keep doing the great job you are already doing Steg.  

I'm sure there are a number of threads that no longer need to be kept on the board.
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 5th, 2003, 6:02pm »

Wow, Im getting the Error messages alot more often now...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 6th, 2003, 12:53pm »

In response to KJ 76's post just above and a private message I just received, I wanted to post the following publicly (it was actually sent out by me in specific response to the PM, in which a dude kindly offered to become a "limited moderator" and delete threads):

"Ironically, I'm not having any problems today.  Nothing but smooth sailing for me.  As for the deleting of threads, it's something that MAY eventually need to be dealt with, BUT, in any case, I need to do it because I want it done in a certain way.  First of all, remember when you delete stuff it is going to effect our post count and such.  Right now, that presents a real Catch 22.  This is a problem, BUT we need those (thread/post) numbers now during our formative period, i.e. the early going.  We just broke the 5,000 mark.  I don't want to go back below it.  Secondly, I, for one, take a lot of time writing my posts and I, personally, do NOT want to go about deleting threads, which may contain gems that I will want to reference in the future, in a hasty manner.  I think this may stand for other members as well.  Finally, this will probably ALL be taken care of when I upgrade in July.  We just got to make it to then.  I am reluctant to contact Hostica's techs at this point because if I do so, it is going to raise big red flags with regards to my "pushing," read overstepping, the limits of my hosting plan, and I would like to just save the money until then.  So, as far as your becoming a moderator/defender of "the Gridiron", we can talk about that later.  But, as for your helping me out by deleting threads, it is just something I can't let someone else do for me, at least not at this juncture.  Anyway, thanks for your concern and offer of assistance.  Be in touch!"

One thing I have noticed that helps is just to give it 3 to 5 seconds between clicks.  I have noticed if/when I experience said problem, which I have not today at all, if I just "slow down", I don't experience it.  I hope this helps your surfing the site, but, moreover, I hope this elucidates my plans and helps you all better understand my position here.  Thank you!

Sincerely,
Steg
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 6th, 2003, 1:10pm »

OK, the error bug finally got me today.  I had lots of problems this morning... there was only one other user on at the time.  I tried refreshing the screen, tried reclicking quickly and also slowly, all to no avail.  There seemed to be no real rhyme or reason to when it would work and when it wouldn't.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 10:07pm »

Fellas,

I am gonna' NEED ALL OF YOUR ASSISTANCE in "tackling" this issue.  I made it a point to get on "the Gridiron" this morning earlier than I usually do, i.e. during that 7:30 to 9:30 critical time when the problem seemed at its worst.  Well, it was bad, and I had to take measures.  I must first tell you all that it has nothing to do with the amount of space we are using, i.e. our thread count, which has been intimated in this thread.  In any event, I have addressed this with Hostica, our host, and I believe they went about doing something to take care of it as best as possible given their server limits.  You may have noticed about 30 minutes of downtime this evening between about 6:45 and 7:15.  I believe they were "doin' their thang" during that period.  In any case, I NOW NEED YOU GUYS TO CHIME IN HERE AS TO WHETHER OR NOT THINGS ARE RUNNING MORE SMOOTHLY!  Ultimately, I may end up having to move the site to a new hosting company.  We'll see!  But, in the meantime, I want to know if they have sufficiently "Band-Aided" the problem.  Thank you very much for your anticipated assistance.  I am...

...Sincerely,
Steve Stegeman a.k.a. StegRock
Your Admin
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 10:18pm »

So far, so good...  I'll be sure to let you know if anything changes.

BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 10:20pm »

Same here...no error messages today, in fact...

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 11:01pm »

Works like a champ......so far........

Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 11:16pm »

I've never had a problem with the site. I'll let you know if I do. 8)
Daunte Williams

Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 11:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Works great Steg!  Keep up the good work, I love this forum and can't wait to see it really explode in the coming years. Thanks
Razzak
GM
# 1

Go 9ers

View Profile Email

« Reply #16 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 11:38pm »

No, that wouldn't help very much.  If you want to make the site use considerably less bandwidth, try getting rid of user Avatars and getting rid of excessive animated gifs.  That would probably cut your bandwidth usage in 1/2.

Not that I'm recommending this, I'm just saying if you want to reduce your bandwidth/server problems, kill the excessive jpg/gif's.
Razzak
GM
# 1

Go 9ers

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 11:38pm »

Glad to see you got it fixed
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Mar 7th, 2003, 11:53pm »

on Mar 7th, 2003, 11:38pm, Razzak wrote:
No, that wouldn't help very much.  If you want to make the site use considerably less bandwidth, try getting rid of user Avatars and getting rid of excessive animated gifs.  That would probably cut your bandwidth usage in 1/2.

Not that I'm recommending this, I'm just saying if you want to reduce your bandwidth/server problems, kill the excessive jpg/gif's.

Yea, I know, dude.  It's all the smilies and shit that I like and that contribute to making "the Gridiron" different, no just another (blue-gray, light-blue and gray or red and black, with a white background) FF message-board forum (which describes every one out there that I have seen).  I start removing that stuff and I start to defeat my purpose.  It is the YaBB forum's "full-featuredness," which has been noted and lauded by many of our members, that I like.  And, really, it ultimately is just a matter of spending a few more bucks, literally like 40 or so more bucks PER YEAR if I am to upgrade to a better host.  I may be poor, but even I can hack that.  The costs, financially, read not as far as time and effort are concerned, of running a site are SO over-inflated by site admins; it makes me sick.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 11:55am »

Once again, this brings up the possibility of "Smiley Survivor".  There are certainly a handful of smileys that almost NEVER get used.  We all have our favorites  ( <-- mine, I like that guy snickering at you) but there are some that I'm sure no one would miss - and it would reduce the bandwidth some more as well.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 12:38pm »

on Mar 8th, 2003, 11:55am, Philly wrote:
Once again, this brings up the possibility of "Smiley Survivor".  There are certainly a handful of smileys that almost NEVER get used.  We all have our favorites  ( <-- mine, I like that guy snickering at you) but there are some that I'm sure no one would miss - and it would reduce the bandwidth some more as well.

Only VERY marginally, and, actually, if you really think about it, it is not the ones that are not being used that create bandwidth problems; it is the ones that are! In any event, I have spent WAY TOO much time collecting those buggers to start making cuts at this point, only six months in, and, bottom line, I like them all.  Next...
Sepphoris
Water Boy
# 106

View Profile WWW

« Reply #21 on: Mar 8th, 2003, 9:30pm »

Steg it was me.
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #22 on: Mar 9th, 2003, 11:04am »

I got 3 errors messages so far in the last 15 minutes.... maybe it's just me?  ???
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Mar 9th, 2003, 12:50pm »

Keep them updates rollin'!  Thanks!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #24 on: Mar 9th, 2003, 4:59pm »

I too had minor problems today. (sunday) Two times I got that error.

Pages: 1 2 3  4 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.