In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Apr 29th, 2024, 9:30am EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron the Bleachers

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Back Judge, Referee, Replay Official, Head Linesman, Line Judge, Umpire, Field Judge, Side Judge)
   the Bleachers
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  15 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: the Bleachers  (Read 15620 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: the Bleachers
« Reply #100 on: May 27th, 2003, 12:17pm »

Hmmmm...  We're having a real festival today, at Steggy's expense?  I'll have to put a moratorium on that!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #101 on: May 27th, 2003, 7:17pm »

Ya' know on "the Gridiron" we have HOT threads and STICKY threads ...  But, I can't figure out how to make this one and ... HOT and STICKY, that is!

Maybe, this'll help...

and, of course, you can't really do it without

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #102 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 10:57pm »

Fellas,

I gotta' big day tomorrow!  Finally takin' this GRE, something no 30-something-year-old-man should be doin', but the influence this damn test will have on the "next chapter of my life" is so huge.  Taking this thing will, at least symbolically, signify the start of that next chapter that was supposed to have begun at least two years ago and really, according to the original plan, as many as eight years ago.  What amounted to a seven-year diversion to Korea later... and, well, "here" I am.  Anyway, just givin' one final shout-out for any "love"/"energy" you guys can spare to send the way of this ogreish despot you have here! I want to get this behind me in one shot and get a move on to where I "should be".  Thanks, guys! I am...

...Sincerely Your "Warm and Fuzzy" Tyrant and "Friendly Neighborhood" Cult Leader,
Steg
Cirrinone

Email

« Reply #103 on: Jun 4th, 2003, 11:26pm »

Good luck tomorrow Steg! Kick some ass and move on to "the next chapter of your life". YOU GO STEVE!
Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #104 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 7:26am »

Good luck, today!  
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #105 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 7:29am »

Hey Steg, how did you like game one of the NBA finals?  

And, game 5 of the Stanley Cup finals should be a great one!

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
Walker Boh
Fantasy Field General
# 34

It's ELWAY or the highway.

walkerboh74   joskojw
View Profile

« Reply #106 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 8:05am »

Is anyone still watching the NBA Finals? I know I'm not... People at work aren't talking about it... Not much talk on the radio either... Does anyone out there really care? Normally, when my team gets beat in the playoffs, I end up rooting for another and finish watching the season. That didn't happen this year. When the Lakers lost, I rooted for Dallas, but with the Mavs gone, I could care less... I can't stand SA or NJ. I hope they both lose.  

I'm not a huge hockey fan, but I must admit I got very excited the other night when the Ducks pulled off the game 4 OT victory. I don't like sudden death OT in football, but it really works in hockey. Go Ducks!  

Good luck today Steg! Just remember, "there is no spoon".
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #107 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 6:25pm »

So Steg....tell us all about your test! How was it? How did you do? Are you   yet?

BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #108 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 9:04pm »

Wow...anyone watching game 5 of the Stanley Cup?  

2-2, great action. So far, both teams have won every game they have scored first. Tonight, the Ducks drew first blood just 40 seconds into the game.

Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #109 on: Jun 5th, 2003, 10:50pm »

6-3... fuck... I just lost some money...  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #110 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 8:47pm »

Well, fellaz, I'm BAAAHACK!  Ain't gonna' be needin' to take that test a second time! Could I have done better?  Yea, I suppose so with a little more luck and being absolutely totally "in the zone".  Could I do worse?  Definitely.  But, sincerely, not much either way.  I pretty much got what I deserved, a score that will definitely have the program I want to enter rollin' out the red carpet for me and probably should have me considering schools a tier, or perhaps two, up.  As for specifics, I will give you all this much, if for no other reason than its absolute irony, but also because I am proud as hell of it, Mr. Wordsmith here, "the English Master" of theEnglishMaster.com, gets a, get this, 760 ... on the quantitative (i.e. math) section.  Unreal!  I will be launching "theMathMaster.com" in coming months! This is not to say that my score on the verbal section wasn't good.  It was still 80 points above the average of ALL GRE-taking candidates entering Ph.D. programs throughout the nation, but I know I could have within reason done at least a little, like 40 points, better.  That having been said, I would NOT expect to get a 760 again on the math.  That is about 60 points higher than I thought was realistic... on the high-end that is.  I was definitely "in the zone" there. Anyway, bottom line, this, the first and really biggest step in my "moving on", is FINALLY behind me.  I already feel better in spirits as a future that I have had to defer for a long time is finally in the (directly-related) process of its being realized! Thanks for all of the "energy" you guys sent my way! It was evidently felt!
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2003, 11:30pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Cirrinone

Email

« Reply #111 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 9:06pm »

Congrats, my man!
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #112 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 9:50pm »

Congrats!!  Now will you you start using words we will all understand?  
« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2003, 9:51pm by DirkDiggler » Logged

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #113 on: Jun 6th, 2003, 11:36pm »

Well, Double D, it is my vocabulary that I still evidently need to work on. -"It's right triangles and shit that I'm down wit'!" So, it'll be the same ole' lovable Steggie, 'cep now I'll be talkin' Pythagoras and pi a hell of a lot more!
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #114 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 10:09am »

Nice work on the GRE Steg.  Any chance those scores will land you in the doctoral program at Princeton?  They have an excellent Philosophy program...  plus I work about 2 minutes from the campus.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know that I'm back.  Although I was never "technically" away, having a child certainly changes one's life.  But as I am back at work now--after two week's vacation(?)--I will be able to log on more and contribute once again.  
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #115 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 10:53am »

on Jun 9th, 2003, 10:09am, Philly wrote:
Nice work on the GRE Steg.  Any chance those scores will land you in the doctoral program at Princeton?  They have an excellent Philosophy program...  plus I work about 2 minutes from the campus.

Anyway, just wanted to let people know that I'm back.  Although I was never "technically" away, having a child certainly changes one's life.  But as I am back at work now--after two week's vacation(?)--I will be able to log on more and contribute once again.  

How old is your child now?  

I will second that motion that having a child really affects life.  It kills me to see travel vacations to Europe for $1000 foir two people yet we can't go cause we got a child.  Or the fact that we can't go out as much.  Can't get to the nice restraunts we were accustomed to....etc....

With all that being said, being a father is the greatest feeling on earth!!  

Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #116 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 1:41pm »

on Jun 9th, 2003, 10:53am, DirkDiggler wrote:

17 days old now.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #117 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 1:47pm »

Philly, hope all is going well with baby Darren!  (How much cuter is that newbie/baby smiley than the one we used to have?  If you remember, that thing was ugly as hell.)

Anyway, Philly, I wish, well, kind of, but, bottom line, no.  80 points over the average is not that good considering the average for the verbal section is in the LOW 500's (believe it or not).  That 760, over which I am still in disbelief, REALLY carried me.  Let's put it this way, with ALL this studying for a solid 5-month block plus another month or so of off-and-on study combined with my being an EFL/ESL/English teacher for almost 10 years now, I only did :gulp: 10 points :gulp: better on the verbal section this time than I did back in '94 when I took the GRE for practice, knowing I wasn't going to use those scores and, thus, did not study very much. Not to mention, though I carried a 3.5 GPA in Philosophy, the area I am looking to get my Ph.D in, and a pure 4.0 in one of my other majors, Russian, I did not carry that great of a cumulative GPA, 3.1, due to my not liking some of my core classes A LOT and a 2.9 in my earliest declared major, Political Science, which I ended up realizing I did NOT really like, but finished anway, and a decent, though pedestrian 3.2 in my History minor.  It would be nice if my (having) three majors and a minor would be considered alongside my cumulative GPA, which actually was a superb 3.7 over my final two years (I went a total of 5), another point I would like emphasized, but...  I probably am only going to be able to make that happen if I interview,... which I may do.

Ultimately, though, I am going back to school with a dream school in mind, which my scores, GRE, GPA, or otherwise, should get me in with little hitch.  That having been said, after receiving the scores, since I was feeling real confident, I did go and look into reach programs for me to apply to.  I realized that my scores would probably put me on the low end of Notre Dame, read not Ivy League, applicants.  But, bottom line, the more research I did, the more I was pushed back toward my dream school, the University of Hawaii, which I learned apparently IS in fact the only philosophy program in the States that allows students to "officially" specialize in areas of eastern philosophy, something I REALLY want to do, and, among many other things, most importantly is the ONLY school among those that I looked into, which ranged from Northwestern to the University of Colorado to the University of Miami, that allow for spring semester entrance, which is what I want... need.  So, based on a litany of reasons that was only added to while looking into other schools (I mean while I was looking at other school's sites, I found myself almost invariably saying, "Well, there's another reason for me to go... to the University of Hawaii!"), a "Rainbow Warrior" I am destined to become.

Well, sorry for boring you guys with this VERY personal stuff.  Remember it is just that during this period of life I don't have that "water-cooler" to chat over.  I don't get out all too much.  I am in kind of a cocooning phase, and, yes, sadly or not, this is one of my main... only outlets these days.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #118 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 2:06pm »

Hawaii, eh?  Sounds like fun.  Good luck.  Interestingly, my verbal scores on my SATs and GREs were much lower than my math scores.  Of course I went ahead and became an English major and a high school English teacher after that... Go figure...

Also, congrats... that last post was #2000 for you.  I know you don't get any special recognition for your posts, unlike the rest of us.
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #119 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 3:12pm »

on Jun 9th, 2003, 1:41pm, Philly wrote:

17 days old now.

CONGRATS!!!!!!

BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #120 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 6:16pm »

I will second what DD said. Being the father of 2 sons ages 5 and 3 and a 9 month old daughter, getting out with just the wife is a rare occasion.  

We were able to go out to dinner Saturday night, which was nice.  

Our vacations now consist of trips to Disneyland  , Lego Land and Marine World. But I wouldn't trade it for anything either...

on Jun 9th, 2003, 10:53am, DirkDiggler wrote:

I will second that motion that having a child really affects life.  It kills me to see travel vacations to Europe for $1000 foir two people yet we can't go cause we got a child.  Or the fact that we can't go out as much.  Can't get to the nice restraunts we were accustomed to....etc....

With all that being said, being a father is the greatest feeling on earth!!  

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #121 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 6:21pm »

on Jun 9th, 2003, 6:16pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
But I wouldn't trade it for anything either...

Not even Michael Vick, LaDainian Tomlinson and Terrell Owens?

I know... I am a real !
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #122 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 8:30pm »

How 'bout something a little lighthearted to break up the serious topics:

"Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh) "Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh)  
"Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh) "Let's go DEV-ILS!" (Tuh--Tuh------Tuh-Tuh-Tuh)

Keyshawn Johnson 76yards
Fantasy Field General
# 97

View Profile

« Reply #123 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 10:49pm »

Oh great... Stanley Cup champions again...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #124 on: Jun 9th, 2003, 11:40pm »

I am SO happy for my Devils!  This is the first Cup they've won that I was in town for.  I remember for their last Stanley Cup victory over the Stars, I was going back to my place the afternoon following a WILD night at a party I had organized at a cabin of one of my colleagues/buds up in the wilderness foothills of somewhere Bumblefuck South Korea.  I was with one of our Korean girlies and that aforementioned guy, Dave, FROM TEXAS and a huge Stars fan.  We were about halfway back to my place, about an hour into the drive, when the Devils scored that O.T. goal to win the Cup.  Immediately following, I have my bleary-eyed, in-a-hangover-haze ugly head out the window cheering at the top of my lungs, which were pretty spent at that point... while all these Koreans just looked on in befuddlement. ??? I also was in Korea for their first Cup victory, when they saved the team from moving (again).  No personal memorable story there, though!  In any event, it was great finally being in "Joysey" for one!

I do have to say this, though.  New Jerseyans do disappoint me all too often... so wrapped up in their own victory party and not thinking to show a little class.  I would have liked to have heard more cheers and less boos when Giguere was awarded the Con-Smythe (sp.?) Trophy.  I thought it was well-deserved and a nice consolation prize for a guy who was obviously taking the loss hard.  It would have been nice and of no sweat off our fans' brows to show him a little love for a great playoff run.  I find it funny how often people decide NOT to take the high road, even when it would be SO easy and require SO little.
« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2003, 3:42pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7  ...  15 Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.