In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 9:35pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comments

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   between the 20's
(Moderators: Replay Official, Side Judge, Field Judge, Umpire, Referee, Back Judge, Head Linesman, Line Judge)
   1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comments
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comments  (Read 5043 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: 1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comm
« Reply #50 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I must admit that I'm with C-dub here.  I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick, either.

I DIGRESS...
    Hows about a little useful and fun (once you think about it) English lesson?  What's the difference in meaning and expression between the following (this is not very difficult, but the mistake is OFTEN made; in fact, though, its mundanity is what makes it interesting, to me at least)?

"I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick, either." or "I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick, too."

AND

"I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick either." or "I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick too."

Have at it, boyz!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:55pm by Stegfucius » Logged
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #51 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 6:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

We shall see boys
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007, 6:01pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #52 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:49pm »

Larsman???!!?? Kitna? What happened to your manlove for Rivers?? I thought you'd be there by now!
Larsen89
GM
# 532

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile

« Reply #53 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:58pm »

I know it, I know it!!!    Kitna has me fascinated with the addition of Calvin Johnson, and the Martz's carousel attack......

Rivers,..... he'll be REAL soon!!!!!
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007, 8:59pm by Larsen89 » Logged
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #54 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:42pm »

Too as in also
Two as in #2
or to, which is as it should be
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:43pm by cwhams » Logged
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #55 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:56pm »

OK, Michael Vick at #66 just one 6 away from 666, just could not help myself.  

Now we all know why the man runs so fast, if you had the hounds from hell chomping on your heels you'd run too
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #56 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 10:07pm »

on Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:42pm, cwhams wrote:
Too as in also
Two as in #2
or to, which is as it should be

If this is a response to my "English Lesson" question, I am almost certain it is not right...  Explain...  Or, "retake"...
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #57 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:18pm »

on Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:54pm, StegRock wrote:
I must admit that I'm with C-dub here.  I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick, either.

I DIGRESS...
    Hows about a little useful and fun (once you think about it) English lesson?  What's the difference in meaning and expression between the following (this is not very difficult, but the mistake is OFTEN made; in fact, though, its mundanity is what makes it interesting, to me at least)?

"I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick, either." or "I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick, too."

AND

"I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick either." or "I'm not too keen on that Peterson pick too."

Have at it, boyz!!!

The preposition "too" has a number of meanings:

Prior to "keen" the word "too" means overly.
At the end of the sentence the word "too" means also.

The pronoun "either" refers to one of a number...in this case Steg & C-dubs.   That is a short stab.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #58 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:42pm »

Much better stab, C-dub...

First, a general note, don't get lost in the grammar (that's not to say not to know it; just don't get "stuck" in it, which dictionary categories can cause one to do)...

Okay,... piece-by-piece...

on Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:18pm, cwhams wrote:
The preposition "too" has a number of meanings:

Rethink that one, C-dub [even just in terms of what you (correctly) go on to write]!

Quote:
Prior to "keen" the word "too" means overly.
At the end of the sentence the word "too" means also.

YES! BUT, that's not what's at issue here.  (Regarding what I said above, what kind of word is "too" functioning as here?  A preposition???  Think!!!)

Quote:
The pronoun "either" refers to one of a number...in this case Steg & C-dubs.

YES! You are on the right track (with the exception of your grammatical categorization of the word "either"),... BUT you are only halfway there...  Think it through; bring it home, man!!!

Here's a hint...  Consider the difference in meaning and expression between the following two sentences...

"I don't like that pick too."

AND

"I too don't like that pick."

Which one of those is "I don't like that pick, too." (technically supposed to be/more so) equivalent to???

Then, consider the pattern in terms of "either".  It's ALL ABOUT the comma!!!

And, then, based on that, what does the "other" sentence mean/express???
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #59 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 8:11am »

Personally, I'd lose the comma.  It seems to work when you say "Have at it, boys".  But the comma prior to either or too does not seem to work.  I'm relatively sure there is some rule of grammar here.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2007, 8:13am by cwhams » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #60 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 5:45pm »

on Jun 22nd, 2007, 11:42pm, StegRock wrote:
...don't get lost in the grammar (that's not to say not to know it; just don't get "stuck" in it, which dictionary categories can cause one to do)...

Quote:
Think it through...

Oh, no...  We've regressed,... and I am partly at fault.  Honestly, I was a little bit too exuberant about how close you were before.  You were on the right track, but only about a quarter or third of the way there, not halfway.  And, then, I go on putting the cart before the horse and go explaining about the "comma" and the "pattern".  Moreover, I go about it bass-ackwards, intimating, at least, how the "pattern" and the placement of the "comma" can help you figure out the "second" meaning at play here.  In doing so, I've committed one of the greatest sins a philosopher can commit.  I am (what we philosophers call) begging the question... because, in this case, knowing the "patterns" assumes knowing the "meanings", not the other way around.  (I digress...  See how even rather simple things can become knotty!)  In my defense, I did this because I thought you were farther along than you were.  I thought I just needed to give you a nudge, and I got sloppy.  The fact is, you were still missing a huge part of the puzzle,... the "other" meaning.  When you said that "either" (and "too") indicated "Steg and C-dubs", that was only half-right (and that's only half of the equation here and, thus, why I should have said something like you are a quarter of the way there, not halfway).  

Don't worry about the grammar books (right now).  Grammar books will tell you that using extra commas is ultimately up to the discretion of the writer.  But, in any event, the "comma" in writing and the "pause" and/or "intonation" in speaking are THE KEY to the differentiation of the TWO meanings at play here, which, C-dub, you have yet to hit on.  Until you do, you are not going to "get it".  You won't be in a position to.  Once you get the other meaning, it'll be like... (and ) and, I'm fairly sure, it'll all fall into place.  If/When you (can) think through (which, as opposed to memorization, is the key to really understanding and internalizing learnt material) what's going on here, you will come to better appreciate the grammatical mechanics behind it all, what is at issue here in terms of punctuation, and how it all makes sense (beyond being a set of rules).  I digress... Think of it in terms of these three (Stegemanian ) levels of genuine learning (anything, not just grammar):  at the most basic level, one knows and calls upon rules; at the next level, one knows why the rules are rules and how and how well they function in terms of accomplishing what they are supposed to; at the highest level, one sees the developmental process and evolution of the rules and becomes a creator of rules and shaper of rules structures.  Be self-critical and consider the level at which you are relating to and processing circumstances being presented to you in life.  Always seek to take it to the next level!

In any event, there's nothing "personal" about it. Seriously, don't go there either, Dubs.  Neither the grammar books nor your personal opinion is going to help you here.  Toe the middle!  Think it through!  Forget about commas for the time being!  Focus on the respective meanings of the TWO example sentences I gave you in the hint above, neither of which contains a comma!  What are the TWO meanings at play?  THEN, go from there.  Answer the question that immediately follows the two example sentences.  THEN, jump to the last question and answer it.  You should be able to take it that far.  I think it'll all fall into place in your head at that point.  If not, WE'll pick it back up from there!

Trust me, friend...  I've been "there" with all kinds of this stuff.  Once I thought it through and "got it", it was like a revelation.  Until then, it was just like trivia knowledge that I didn't get and (therefore) wanted to buck (with what I "personally" thought).  Always seek to "get it"!
Takamine305
Head Coach
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '09
# 539

I love ''the Gridiron''!

takamine0889   LWOOD88
View Profile

« Reply #61 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 6:34pm »

Not a huge surprise here from the Cardinal report!!

How is it that Leinart's supporting cast of Fitz, Boldin, James are always ranked high while Leinart tends to go late...Isn't he getting them the ball?!?!?

Oh well, I suppose as Steg puts it...They're still the Cardinals!!  

When a defining moment comes...you can either define the moment or let the moment define you!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #62 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 7:21pm »

Master list in initial post up to the moment...
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #63 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:37pm »

What is yall's take on LaMont Jordan? Heck, while we're at it, what about the Raider running game altogether? I know I'd like to see Jordan get the load but is that gonna' happen? Anyway, if you get a starting RB at the #80 pick then IMHO you've got a bargain! But...does he start, and if he does how many carries with Rhodes and Fargas sitting back there?  For how long, etc?  Many questions???
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #64 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:53pm »

Larsen, I like your Chambers pick at #75. I think he could've went a little higher. I thought about reeling him in in the 60's somewhere. I think he's gonna be revived with ole Trent throwing it to him. This is the kind of player that intrigues me. Gets a new QB and has mass potential. McMichael leaves for St. Louis and Trent has to throw it somewhere right? I think he will reel in 90+ this year, but does he score? I think so but I don't know!! 
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2007, 10:54pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #65 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:02pm »

Dear Steg,

For the love of God and all that is Holy under heaven, I just don't get the english lesson.

Give me spread sheets, give me multi-million $ budgets, give me , give me your poor, down trotten.  These things I understand, wellllll alright, maybe I don't uderstand the women.

I was thinking maybe a few of the other boys would have jumped in and helped the ole Dubs out of a jam, but nooooooooah, silence from the stands.

The answer is right there, like mushroom hunting, you just got to see it.

Sincerely,
The Dubber  
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #66 on: Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:18pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:02pm, cwhams wrote:

I was thinking maybe a few of the other boys would have jumped in and helped the ole Dubs out of a jam, but nooooooooah, silence from the stands.

Dear Dubs...it is summertime! School has been out for nearly a month now. I did not even think that hard during school, much less in the summer!! Summertime, in my day, was when a kid could download what he knew and just be a vegetable...play some baseball, throw some rocks, do some camping, catch some fish, ride a skateboard, etc. etc. Yep, I learned back in the 70's not to engage my brain after June 1st!!

By the way Dubs...and others who have not already done so......since I've recollected a bit from my past, it has reminded me of " the sidelines" and "GTKYG" series.  How 'bout you mosey on down there and let us regular guys who know you by your posts, get to know who you are for real.  

http://www.fantasyfootballer.com/cgi-bin/theGridiron/YaBB.cgi?board=58;a ction=display;num=1059537803
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2007, 11:32pm by MordecaiCourage » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #67 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 12:05am »

Since you asked, MC,... don't much like the Jordan pick.  I don't see it getting much better for that backfield (for most of) this upcoming season nor for Jordan in particular with Rhodes, Fargas and, the aforeUNmentioned, Michael Bush perhaps in the mix.  Honestly, I'm not keen on my LenDale White pick (NO COMMA) either.  But, at least for him, I see the situation as being set up perfectly for him to succeed.  It's just a matter of whether he can overcome himself.  That said, where we are at in this Huddle, neither Jordan nor White are "bad" picks.  I'd probably rather have neither of them on my fantasy team, however, all things equal.  I definitely would not want to be relying on either of them, and around we are here, depending on the size and starting lineup requirements of one's league, we're still picking up guys that may very well have to be relied on.  So,...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #68 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 12:25am »

OH,... and, by the way, I am a bit disappointed that you guys are giving up on learning, whether its summertime or not, and figuring this out.  I'm VERY Confucian about this.  Go pick up a copy of the Analects and give 'er a read and see why/how so...
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #69 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 2:49pm »

Brett Favre at #84...that's a steal by any standard.
MordecaiCourage

Email

« Reply #70 on: Jun 24th, 2007, 10:32pm »

on Jun 24th, 2007, 12:25am, StegRock wrote:
OH,... and, by the way, I am a bit disappointed that you guys are giving up on learning, whether its summertime or not, and figuring this out.  I'm VERY Confucian about this.  Go pick up a copy of the Analects and give 'er a read and see why/how so...

I am disappointed that you are a bit disappointed that a hard working   like myself would rather kick back on my days off and catch some   than read a copy of the Analects, which by the way would probably end up causing me to catch those said   even quicker!!  
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #71 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 9:16am »

on Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:54pm, StegRock wrote:

AND

Have at it, boyz!!!

Well, since I was spending my weekend away from the computer (I'm in front of a monitor too much during the week) I didn't see this question until just now.

I do not profess to be a grammarian, but I think I can see the difference between using a comma there and not using a comma.

When you use the comma (e.g., I'm not too keen on that AP pick, either/too.), it directs that agreement with the opinion of another (in this case unstated) individual. When the comma is elided, it personalizes the comment and implicitly indicates agreement with your own previous comments.

Sound good?

(And there's no chance I'm picking up any Confucius for light summer reading.)  
Takamine305
Head Coach
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '09
# 539

I love ''the Gridiron''!

takamine0889   LWOOD88
View Profile

« Reply #72 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 4:41pm »

this IS still the fantasyfootballer site right?!?  

Just wondering what happened to all the football chatter in this comments thread!!!

When a defining moment comes...you can either define the moment or let the moment define you!!
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #73 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 5:37pm »

on Jun 25th, 2007, 9:16am, Philly wrote:
When you use the comma (e.g., I'm not too keen on that AP pick, either/too.), it directs that agreement with the opinion of another (in this case unstated) individual. When the comma is elided, it personalizes the comment and implicitly indicates agreement with your own previous comments.

I'm almost certain you've got it, Philster! The first is surely right.
Dubs doesn't like that Peterson pick.  ->  I don't like that Peterson pick, too. =/or I too don't like the Peterson pick.
The latter two sentences are equivalent in meaning, viz., they express my (subsequent) agreement with Dubs.

But, could you tease the second part (made bold in the quote above) out?  Actually, it would almost definitely be easiest to show what you mean/what it means without the comma with an example like I just did above for the first part.

on Jun 24th, 2007, 10:32pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:
I am disappointed that you are a bit disappointed that a hard working   like myself would rather kick back on my days off and catch some   than read a copy of the Analects, which by the way would probably end up causing me to catch those said   even quicker!!  

(Capitalism...  Arrrrrgh!)

on Jun 25th, 2007, 9:16am, Philly wrote:
(And there's no chance I'm picking up any Confucius for light summer reading.)  

I pose just one (perhaps best taken to be rhetorical) question... to you, MC.  What if I said the same thing as regards the Bible?  Now, I'm not saying there is not a reasonable comeback (albeit perhaps pretentious-ish), and I did notice that you included a "winky" smiley () with your post.  I'm just saying this to convey how your (and Jeff's) comments cause me to feel... Anyway,... it's "'all' a joke",... I know...
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #74 on: Jun 26th, 2007, 11:00pm »

Sorry to ruffle your feathers , Steve, but Confucius is in your wheelhouse, not mine. I have almost no interest in reading/exploring philosophy or religious precepts. It wasn't meant as a slight to you and I'm not sure why you're taking it that way. We all have different interests...

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.