In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 18th, 2024, 9:35pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron 1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comments

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   between the 20's
(Moderators: Head Linesman, Replay Official, Back Judge, Side Judge, Line Judge, Umpire, Referee, Field Judge)
   1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comments
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comments  (Read 5044 times)
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

Re: 1st "Huddle" Rankings/Mock Draft of '07 - Comm
« Reply #100 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 7:31pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

on Jul 4th, 2007, 6:59pm, MordecaiCourage wrote:
Sounds good to me, I love the life that these threads take on...I'm not trying to railroad it, it just seems to me that this is the kind of conversation that normally is SEEN over on the Sidelines.

Lest we forget the "life" the "Bears In-season Report" thread took on up in "the Red Zone" last season (with and me... and WB).  ...  You are right, in general, though. However, even threads started on "the Sidelines" are not just supposed to be started whimsically or about anything under the sun.  They are still supposed to be football- or web site-related.

Quote:
Silence you????? No ... never! Never, ever, ever, try to spare me your true feelings...I can (actually prefer) to take my lumps...or medicine...or hand-slap....or dogging....or whatever it is that's being dished out. There is no need to ever spare my feelings anywhere on this site...I just can't get my feelings hurt in this stuff!

Well, I can and do get my feelings hurt here, though, I suppose, I'm coming at this from a VERY different vantagepoint, which I'm sure you can appreciate.  There is more "at stake" for me here, and I'm not just talking about "cutting the ribbon on the FantasyFootballer.com office someday".  I'm talking philosophy of life (yes, "Philosophy"), community and learning about people (in this "disassociative" cyber environment, at least, but also more generally since the number of people we come into contact with in life is locationally contingent and, in any event, EXTREMELY limited).  All of that said,... you asked for it, MC, so here it is:   ... ...
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #101 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 8:13pm »

To just work my way back toward C-dub (I think)...

Good life philosophies are surely simple,... but not necessarily easy to live.  So, people get away from them (pretty damn quickly), and things, the philosophies, then, get complicated and difficult,... VERY complicated and difficult.  And, to work our ways back "up" to just even having a good grasp of those simple life philosophies takes serious effort.  The philosophies themselves are simple, but, besides living them, getting back to them conceptually is extraordinarily difficult because to do so you have to work your way back up through all of the/your convoluted bullshit.  Without, first, truly appreciating them and, then, living them, all we have are platitudes and bumper stickers and tons of hypocrites.  All of that having been said, there is also the reality that bad life philosophies too are simple and, actually, much "easier" to live, that is, fall into. It is in this sense (getting us to the good) where religion gives way to philosophy.  Theists need to remember this.  It is in the converse sense (cultivating belief in the good/getting us to "get" the good) that philosophy gives way to religion.  Philosophers need to remember that.

Now, what C-dub states about the Bible is true of other texts like the Koran, the Mahabharata, the Book of Mormon, and, as I am quite concerned, the Dao De Jing, just to name a few,... a very few.  But, anyway, I'm not so sure that is, in and of itself, a "good" thing.  Look no farther than the modern-day (mis/ab)usage of the Koran, notably, vis-a-vis this conversation, as cultivated in the madrassas.
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2007, 4:40pm by Stegfucius » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #102 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 6:55am »

That last part put another way...

While even children can pick up on the morals of the stories, it takes mature adults willing to take on the challenge of setting the examples to really get the message across.

And, the most important "moral story" is that of (non-vocational) education, i.e. not job training.  Unfortunately, this is a sensibility virtually, if not entirely, lost in America given our pragmatic capitalist conditioning.  The fact is when it comes to education, adults have to set the standard by leading by example.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #103 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 5:18pm »

on Jul 4th, 2007, 8:13pm, StegRock wrote:
It is in this sense (getting us to the good) where religion gives way to philosophy.  Theists need to remember this.  It is in the converse sense (cultivating belief in the good/getting us to "get" the good) that philosophy gives way to religion.  Philosophers need to remember that.

Just a note,... just to let yous know, I added a couple parentheticals to this sequence of sentences so as to make what I was saying above a bit more clear.  After a reread here this morning, I myself had to take pause and think back through what I meant...
... ... ... ... ...
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2007, 5:22pm by Stegfucius » Logged
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #104 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 11:10pm »

Steggo, You have clearly read much into little when reading a fairly simply stated post.  You state that you may have gotten your feelings hurt, yet you unabashedly state that what I had written had little to no value...am I to assume that you believe that I have no feelings...that I am shallow...that I live a life composed of red neck one liner bumper stickers...that when I evoke the words "Bible" and "charismatic" that automatically equals lunatics like David Koresh and Jim Jones.  That is called a scare crow tactic, there is really nothing wrong with what was said, so you build a scare crow, in this case built of misguided, murderous, rapists, like Jones and Koresh and you knock that house of straw down.

Frankly, there was not the slightest intent of malice or put down in anything that I stated directed at you.  You do have a far superior grasp of the english language than I and are willing to share your knowledge...even wisdom, but when someone trys to share a small scap of balance, perhaps knowledge and god forbid wisdom...your reaction is not one of understanding and insight...but of defensive attack.  Your verbage shows a clear distain for opinions that differ from your own.

I happen to be fairly transparent and take no offense to what you have to say about what I write.  I also respect what you have to say about what I write, namely that it has little to no value, that may be true.  It is your opinion and you are entitled to that.

What you don't seem to understand and maybe I'm wrong about this...if so just tell me...but you have a public website...you want to go national with a magazine...don't you think there may be just a few of us simple minded rogues from the outback that may want to read a diversity of opinions?  Yes, opinions that may be 180 degrees away from where you stand.  Don't you think that every King David may need a Nathan to help him discern the truth?  For that matter what is truth, except a journey through life...including a nut from Southern Illinois talking to a philosopher in Hawaii about football and philosophy.

Steggo, I like you or I would not be spending my time here.  I apologize in advance for any unintended put downs that you may read into anything just stated.  No journey through life would be complete without a hambone or two thrown in to make one continue to think through one's own path.  
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2007, 11:11pm by cwhams » Logged
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #105 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 11:59pm »

I don't harbor anything, man.  But, I do vent and get things off my chest. I too like you (and MC), and that's why it hurts a little extra.  I'm just dying for someone to "get me" out there (besides my GBRFL guys) [and, frankly speaking, I'm not even talking just about here; I'm talking Philosophy profs (not colleagues, though) too, with the exception of the GREAT Dr. Peimin Ni, who literally could finish my sentences and I, his] and, thus, really get the "bigger picture" of where I am going here, which is a wonderful vision.

In any event, what is it, then, C-dub, that you were trying to communicate in your post because I, for the life of me, don't "get it"??? ...

And, by the way, the move I pulled wasn't so much a straw-man move, though that seemed like a good way to sway it at the moment, as it was to point out that "succinctness" and "charisma" are not "goods" in and of themselves.  That was the spirit of my post regarding comparing all those "Great Books" along the lines you had laid out.

One last philosophical note, if one thing has been absolutely obvious since I've opened this place, it is that I am no fan of (mere) "opinion" per se, especially in a(n intellectual) climate where the pervasive mindset is that everybody deserves to have an opinion about everything and, moreover, everybody's opinion must be of equal value because freedom of speech is an equal right.  Then, (and I know MC was jesting here) you end up with a culture based on "agreeing to disagree", "value's being in the eyes of the beholder", etc., which are really just cop-outs, and, yet, we wonder why values are deteriorating in America.  (I digress...  Could it be that we are unwilling, perhaps at this point, ill-equipped and unable to do the hard work of moral education?)  Agreements are signs of progress, and any philosophy worth its weight is about coming to agreements, to points of agreement, and probing and pressing the areas of disagreement, instead of just "agreeing to disagree", no less from the get-go.  Most notably, that was the philosophy of Socrates and Plato.  It's not about winning a debate, which is what drives us in America.  It's about rigorously arguing to agreement.  Anyway, America is in such knots because of this aforementioned dynamic... that,... in the least, the words of a chap like me are almost unintelligible, and, at worst,...
« Last Edit: Jul 6th, 2007, 4:32pm by Stegfucius » Logged
cwhams
GM
Fmr. CBFLer
Champ - '07
# 489

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile Email

« Reply #106 on: Jul 6th, 2007, 1:57pm »

Well stated Steg, that is the kind of response that I really appreciate.

I'm begining to see where you are comming from and not just your vision for the site, but your desire for intellectual stimulation.  That seems to go hand in foot with this site, a deeper more analytical interpretation of the raw facts, specifically regarding site members and our respective love of football.

I believe all that was intended by my brief comment was that perhaps your progess in this area is more advanced than many of us on the site.  Your job then becomes to nurture the growth of those interested in becomming a part of your vision.  You are accomplishing that with me.  Baby steps with many of us...patience with all of us...that may mean breaking things down...at times into smaller, more easily understandable components...the cob webs will eventually clear from our minds so that we can handle larger deeper conversations.  That's not to say that I don't personally get a kick out of reading your longer writings.  I find myself smiling and enjoying many of your posts...even when I don't respond.  
Tony_O

Email

« Reply #107 on: Jul 8th, 2007, 11:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 6th, 2007, 1:57pm, cwhams wrote:
Well stated Steg, that is the kind of response that I really appreciate.

I'm begining to see where you are comming from and not just your vision for the site, but your desire for intellectual stimulation.  That seems to go hand in foot with this site, a deeper more analytical interpretation of the raw facts, specifically regarding site members and our respective love of football.

I believe all that was intended by my brief comment was that perhaps your progess in this area is more advanced than many of us on the site.  Your job then becomes to nurture the growth of those interested in becomming a part of your vision.  You are accomplishing that with me.  Baby steps with many of us...patience with all of us...that may mean breaking things down...at times into smaller, more easily understandable components...the cob webs will eventually clear from our minds so that we can handle larger deeper conversations.  That's not to say that I don't personally get a kick out of reading your longer writings.  I find myself smiling and enjoying many of your posts...even when I don't respond.  

Well stated!
Tony_O

Email

« Reply #108 on: Jul 8th, 2007, 11:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I rather enjoyed that particular serve and volly(wow, was that a tennis reference on a Fantasy football site, my bad)!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.