In remembrance of 9/11/01

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
May 21st, 2024, 6:09pm EST

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members GamesGames Login Login Register Register
Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music

"Welcome to 'the Gridiron'... Fantasy football at its best!"

LeagueStation.com               Co-commissioner Services

Lend a hand...  Make a contribution to help keep "the Gridiron @FantasyFootballer.com" up and independently running!!!
   Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron
   the Gridiron
   the Sidelines
(Moderators: Back Judge, Line Judge, Replay Official, Field Judge, Head Linesman, Side Judge, Umpire, Referee)
   G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music
Previous topic|Next topic
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music  (Read 24826 times)
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

Re: G.T.K.Y.G. - Topic:  Music
« Reply #25 on: May 8th, 2004, 9:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Dobie Gray - Drift Away - from the album Drift Away, 1973

Definately amongst my top 5 songs, ever. Perfect combination of tune and lyrics. This song has picked me up when I'm down more than any other song I know. Throw this on the stereo, slide on the headphones, and I'm gone.

A favorite verse and the chorus are worthy, imo, of printing here:

Thanks for the joy that you've given me
I want you to know I believe in your song
Rhythm and rhyme and harmony
You help me along makin' me strong  

Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
Oh, give me the beat, boys, and free my soul
I wanna get lost in your rock and roll and drift away
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

« Reply #26 on: May 8th, 2004, 9:13pm »

on May 8th, 2004, 5:00pm, StegRock wrote:
Steggie Steggum's Top 40 Countdown

[size=3]#36...  Well, just as you get up and start dusting yourself off after getting thrown for a loop by song #37, as there surely was somewhat of a common thread in songs #40 through #38 and you might have thought you had the old Stegger all figured out, here comes #36, which surely will add to the twisted mayhem of "Steggie Steggum's

I must admit, a very pleasant surprise.  There's hope for you yet.  {just good naturedly tryin' to ruffle a hawk's feathers   }  
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer
Champ - '94, '99, '02, '04

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #27 on: May 8th, 2004, 11:56pm »

on May 8th, 2004, 9:13pm, FourTwoOh wrote:
I must admit, a very pleasant surprise.  There's hope for you yet.  {just good naturedly tryin' to ruffle a hawk's feathers   }  

Kirk, old fella and friend, I had you pegged for this one, actually (look at how we have substantively, to a degree at least, gotten to know one another 'round this joint... or bong ).  I have you down (for liking) one other one in particular.  But, you are going to have to wait quite awhile and wade through some (what you probably will think is) shit. If this one was worth it, though, then so will that one, I think.  I also hope that #'s 40 through 37 weren't too hard on ya and I hope all the rest won't be, either. ...
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

« Reply #28 on: May 9th, 2004, 12:36am »

on May 8th, 2004, 11:56pm, StegRock wrote:

Kirk, old fella and friend, I had you pegged for this one, actually (look at how we have substantively, to a degree at least, gotten to know one another 'round this joint... or bong ).  I have you down (for liking) one other one in particular.  But, you are going to have to wait quite awhile and wade through some (what you probably will think is) shit. If this one was worth it, though, then so will that one, I think.  I also hope that #'s 40 through 37 weren't too hard on ya and I hope all the rest won't be, either. ...

Not at all. I've only been able to listen to 3 of them. I've liked all but the rap one {and there are several rap songs I like, that just wasn't one of 'em} .  

In my book, there is no such thing as bad music. That's why, just like food, it's refered to as taste. That said, there are plenty of songs I'd just as soon spit out as to swallow.  

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #29 on: May 10th, 2004, 1:06am »

#35...  There is not much "personal" for me to say (thank God, right? ) about this tune, other than to point out that I do recognize this band to surely be one of the most talented and versatile this list has to offer and even of all-time. That, in and of itself, I suppose says a lot about me.  This is one of their later releases and definitely one of their most unique.  It is just unique, period, actually!  It was a minor hit, but I think one of their best, obviously.  The Backstreet Boys, Boys-to-Men, et al., do not have anything over on these "real" rockers in "a cappella" skill (a huge hint there as to what song this is).  This tune really showcases these guys' immense talent and versatility.  Enjoy this goodie...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/35.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
« Last Edit: May 10th, 2004, 1:08am by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

Pay, I said pay attention, son.

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #30 on: May 10th, 2004, 11:16am »

I love those last two songs Steg (#36 and #35).  Neither of them would make my top 40, but they're both good ones.

I find it interesting how there are so many of us here who have a lot in common (sports, movies, etc)... yet our musical tastes seem to run in so many different directions.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #31 on: May 10th, 2004, 1:31pm »

It was the fall of 1982 and I had experienced the death of a close family member for the first time. My grandfather passed away after a bout with throat cancer. He was a pipe smoker and I still fondly remember the scent of Captain Black in the house. Jack & Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp had just been released and was being (over)played on the pop radio stations at the time. I remember really liking the song, but there were a few lines that seemed to really grab me. "Oh yeah, life goes on... long after the thrill of livin' is gone." I think that line helped me really think about my grief and get on with things. Also, "Changes come around real soon, make us women and men." I felt like I was experiencing grown-up things and, at twelve years of age, was making the transition from child to adult.
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

Hey Rock!Watch me pull the Gridiron out of my hat!

nygiants4life56   bpbagwell
View Profile Email

« Reply #32 on: May 10th, 2004, 10:31pm »

And I sleep, and I dream of the person I might have been, then I'lll be free again
And I speak like a someone who's been to the highest peaks, and back again
And I swear, that my grass is greener than anyones, til I believe again
Then I wait, then the dream fades away and I face the day, and I realize,
There's got to be some hero in me
There's got to be some hereo in me

I first heard these words to "Hero In Me" in 1992, when a fellow DJ at the radio station I worked at turned me on to his music. I had never heard of Jeffrey Gaines, but I loved the words enough to out and get the single. The song moved me more than any song I have heard. If you don't know who Gaines is, he remade Peter Gabriel's "In your Eyes" a few years back. He is a great alternative-folk artist.

New York Giants...WORLD CHAMPS!!!!
bgsgfan
Red Zone Master
GBRFL2er
CBFL Champ - '03
# 18

He ain't on the all-time list because he's pretty.

View Profile

« Reply #33 on: May 11th, 2004, 12:38am »

on May 10th, 2004, 10:31pm, BarnabyWilde wrote:
And I sleep, and I dream of the person I might have been, then I'lll be free again
And I speak like a someone who's been to the highest peaks, and back again
And I swear, that my grass is greener than anyones, til I believe again
Then I wait, then the dream fades away and I face the day, and I realize,
There's got to be some hereo in me

I first heard these words to "Hero In Me" in 1992, when a fellow DJ at the radio station I worked at turned me on to his music. I had never heard of Jeffrey Gaines, but I loved the words enough to out and get the single. The song moved me more than any song I have heard. If you don't know who Gaines is, he remade Peter Gabriel's "In your Eyes" a few years back. He is a great alternative-folk artist.

I was touched by these lyrics, so I got ahold of the song.  I'm glad I did.  Not only are the lyrics poignant, the music works well also.  

I tend to be partial to rock (broadly defined) songs with symphonic arrangements (think "Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve or "Silent Lucidity" by Queensryche).  Although this song is more folky than either of those, it will fit nicely on my double-cd concept mix I am working on (tentatively titled the unholy union of symphony and rock ).

Thanks!

11/20/04 - Buckeyes salvage season by stomping that team from up north. (Posted 11/14/04)
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #34 on: May 11th, 2004, 2:35am »

You are welcome Jeremy!!  

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #35 on: May 11th, 2004, 1:43pm »

on May 11th, 2004, 12:38am, bgsgfan wrote:
"Bittersweet Symphony" by The Verve

Just adding to the chat here...  That song is one that just missed my Top 40.  After MUCH contemplation, I realized that my liking "Bitter Sweet Symphony" just boiled too much down to the symphonic part, as you are putting it, and not the song "as a whole", specifically vis-a-vis the song at #40 on my list, which I like more for the "whole song" and not just a cool part of it (it, also as I had stated, was a "better" way to kick a Top-40 Countdown off with).  I do like "Bitter Sweet Symphony" and that whole album, "Urban Hymns", A TON, nevertheless.  "Bitter Sweet Symphony" does, personally, take me to a specific "place", that does not even exist anymore, at least not the way it had, where I had first heard it, at least to my recollection.  I heard it for the first time at (old) Seoul Station heading in for one of my usual weekly trips into Seoul, where my girl (now wife) was living and working, from Chonan/Asan (three hours away), where I was living and working.  It was blaring from the shop/stand of a sidewalk music vender and given my "circumstances", it just added to the "surreality" of it all.  Memorable moment that I can still fairly vividly "feel"/"see" to this day.

On a different note, just to be honest, most of these songs, whether some lyrics are being included or not, are not "coming to me".  The only one specifically that did was "Be My Downfall",... kind of, and a few of Philly's "common" ones.  Though it may not seem that way, I, for one, am not good with names, titles, lyrics, etc., and as Philly pointed out, we are covering A LOT of ground here.  I would love it, on a number of substantive levels, if you guys maybe when you've boiled things down to your respective Top 10's or Top 5's, took me up on the offer I made at the beginning of this thread!  It would put a few bucks in my pocket to use on this place AND allow people to "relate" to and "internalize" your songs for what they are, music, not text...  Music is meant to be experienced by the ear...

Quote:
Regarding uploading songs and presenting your Top-whatever songs for the ear as opposed to as a list, I will gladly provide the service of presenting your songs like I did mine.  This requires the time-consuming process of downloading and uploading the songs (I will require/strongly advise that you send your songs to me "zipped" up, i.e. in ".zip" format, to at least expedite the downloading a bit) and also setting up the html pages.  If you decide to do this, what we would do is:  1) you send me the zipped bundle of however many songs; 2) I create the pages and upload them as I do them, and 3) I contact you by "private message" here on "the Gridiron" with the links every few days for you to post as you like.  For this, I am charging $3.00 per song.  So, if you wanted to do your Top 10, it would be $30.00, which is about the average donation I have received.  Of course, just to be clear, this will not be considered a donation, as such.  If you have your own web site, you would, of course, be welcome to do this on your own.  And, of course, if any of your songs coincides with any of mine, you're in luck!  In any case, I hope others decide to follow my lead at least for their Top 5 or 10 as music really is meant to be experienced by the ear!  If you do it through me, the financial assistance will also be MUCH appreciated!

Just speaking for myself here, I am getting A LOT out of the stories, mind you, but relatively little out of the songs (because I don't know them off the top of my head, again, we are covering A LOT of ground here, and don't necessarily relish the idea of having to find clips of them for myself, not that clips are enough to give you an accurate picture of a song, anyway).
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2004, 5:26pm by Stegfucius » Logged
FourTwoOh
Fantasy Field General
# 10

View Profile Email

« Reply #36 on: May 11th, 2004, 3:23pm »

on May 11th, 2004, 1:43pm, StegRock wrote:

On a different note, just to be honest, most of these songs, whether some lyrics are being included or not, are not "coming to me".  The only one specifically that did was "Be My Downfall",... kind of, and a few of Philly's "common" ones.  Though it may not seem that way, I, for one, am not good with names, titles, lyrics, etc., and as Philly pointed out, we are covering A LOT of ground here.  I would love it, on a number of substantive levels, if you guys maybe when you've boiled things down to your respective Top 10's or Top 5's, to took me up on the offer I made at the beginning of this thread!  It would put a few bucks in my pocket to use on this place AND allow people to "relate" to and "internalize" your songs for what they are, music, not text...  Music is meant to be experienced by the ear...

I was thinking along these lines myself. Consider it "to be done".
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #37 on: May 11th, 2004, 3:30pm »

#34...  This song is an all-time classic.  If we were doing an "objective, consensus" all-time classics countdown, it would be #2 on my list, assuming special deference were not given to "classic rock" songs, e.g. "Stairway to Heaven", "Hotel California", et al. (which is like a genre unto itself), was not implied like it often is in these kinds of debates.  This tune is not of "that genre".  On the personal side,... this song is about a specific "reality" of which I have absolutely no firsthand experience.  BUT, when listening to it, I am "well" reminded of the "unthoughtful" rut one finds "himself" in and very steep price one pays when rushing through (the mundanity of) life (in an Emersonian sleepwalk, or should I say "sleepdash to the finish").  It encourages me (for better or worse) to press on with the lifestyle, style of life, of patience, reflection and mindfulness I have chosen despite the (apparent/relatively small) sacrifices and its (apparent) unconventionality.  It helps me stay focused on the "bigger picture".  I hope it encourages you too to reflect on "things" a bit as you listen...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/34.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2004, 3:39pm by Stegfucius » Logged
kidcrash
Head Coach
# 229

doh

View Profile Email

« Reply #38 on: May 11th, 2004, 4:16pm »

THANKS ALOT STEG,I love #34.Its funny how a person can forget about a song that he has always loved,then you hear It and Its like a flashback.You know, you close your eyes and just for a few minutes your back to that time,great song, memories are wonderful.I also find it ironic that were 11 years apart and have very similar tastes in music.

mmmm beer
BarnabyWilde
Gridiron Great
CBFL Champ - '04
# 24

View Profile Email

« Reply #39 on: May 11th, 2004, 4:21pm »

Great choice! I too love this song. Brings back memories. It made me want to be the kind of father I am today; very attentive to my children.

on May 11th, 2004, 4:16pm, kidcrash wrote:
THANKS ALOT STEG,I love #34.Its funny how a person can forget about a song that he has always loved,then you hear It and Its like a flashback.

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2004, 4:21pm by BarnabyWilde » Logged

Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #40 on: May 11th, 2004, 5:21pm »

on May 11th, 2004, 3:23pm, FourTwoOh wrote:
I was thinking along these lines myself. Consider it "to be done".

GREAT! I've heard by way of private message from another Gridironer whose going to act on this, too.

on May 11th, 2004, 4:16pm, kidcrash wrote:
THANKS ALOT STEG,I love #34.Its funny how a person can forget about a song that he has always loved,then you hear It and Its like a flashback.You know, you close your eyes and just for a few minutes your back to that time,great song, memories are wonderful.I also find it ironic that were 11 years apart and have very similar tastes in music.

This is the kind of pith I love hearin',... especially the sentence in bold italics, that is exactly the kind of "response" I am lookin' for and love hearin' about.  AWESOME! ...

By the way, kc, and you don't have to answer this...  Which direction does the "11 years difference" go in?
DirkDiggler
Gridiron Great
GBRFLer
Champ - '14, '23
# 5

View Profile

« Reply #41 on: May 11th, 2004, 7:38pm »

Yep, #34 really gets to me.  It hits home in so many ways.  

The first time I heard it was in church on fathers day. I was in 6th grade.   I remember lots of people in the church tearing up.  So then we get home from church.  What do we find?  A note from my older sister telling my parents how horrible they were.  That she couldn't live them anymore and that she was moving out.   At the bottom of the note she was kind enough to say, "By the way, happy fathers day."

And like Jim, I too try to take the words to heart as a father.  Gotta remember what is really important in life.   It is one of those songs that really gets to me, especially since I never had the best relationship with my father.

"Every rule has an exception....the exception can't become the rule"
kidcrash
Head Coach
# 229

doh

View Profile Email

« Reply #42 on: May 11th, 2004, 9:24pm »

Hey steg,I think I read A little while back that you were born In 1970 or 1971 by a comment you made about a song on my favorites list.I was born In 1960.

mmmm beer
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: May 12th, 2004, 2:28am »

Gotchya, pops! ...

I think it's cool, too, that we are evidently clicking.  Just curious, man, you've come out and said you liked #'s 37 and 34, in particular.  What about the others?  Anything else you especially liked?  Any clunkers ?  I'm guessing one, at least...
kidcrash
Head Coach
# 229

doh

View Profile Email

« Reply #44 on: May 12th, 2004, 5:43am »

Actually there are no clunkers,I like all of them.You are the smiley king

mmmm beer
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #45 on: May 13th, 2004, 1:40am »

#33...  Well, I'm going to rev this sucker back up here!  This tune is one of only two on this list that is by one of the just eight artists/bands that I have seen live by way of only four concerts that I have attended ( if you followed that, you're a genius ... ) (I've seen a ton of live bands in my time at bars, clubs and at fraternity parties, but I haven't been to many concerts in my life...  I vow that I will see a concert in Red Rocks before all is said and done, though).  This group is the "real" pioneer of their genre despite some popular opinion that might accredit that to bands such as Black Sabbath or Led Zeppelin, both great bands in their own right, mind you, but none really heavy enough to be called the pioneers of this genre; they were more like the precursors.  Personally, like anybody, I am sucker for a good hook.  But, this is my most anti-hook song on this list.  Not that I don't like the hook/chorus of this song, it's okay, but it's "the rest of the song" and "the song as a whole" that I like, and this is another one of those "rhythm guitar delights" like I started off with with #'s 40 through 38.  That having been said, it is basically a forgotten song on a TOTALLY ROCKIN' album that sported a couple hits and one HUGE hit.  Actually, it's the last song on the album, #10 of 10, the throw-away, but not on this album; nothing on this album is garbage.  For those that know this song, you are for sure going to go, "NO WAY, Steg! YOU ROCK!"  For those that don't, I hope you enjoy rockin' to it, and if you are one those that has a knee-jerk/inbred prejudice against "this" kind of music, like I once did, I hope it opens your mind up a little bit to it...

http://www.ffyi.com/stegsmusic/33.htm (as should be expected, the songs can take quite a bit of time to load in the player; they are set to start AUTOMATICALLY when fully loaded).
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2004, 1:44am by Stegfucius » Logged
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #46 on: May 13th, 2004, 9:17am »

on May 13th, 2004, 1:40am, StegRock wrote:
For those that know this song, you are for sure going to go, "NO WAY, Steg! YOU ROCK!"  For those that don't, I hope you enjoy rockin' to it, and if you are one those that has a knee-jerk/inbred prejudice against "this" kind of music, like I once did, I hope it opens your mind up a little bit to it...

This is actually a genre I was heavily into when I was about 14 or 15 years old, however this is one group that I never got heavily into for no apparent reason.  Sounds like a decent enough song, but one listen didn't do much for me.  Besides, this is not a genre I am currently into.

I do have to take exception with the idea that this group is the "real pioneer" of the genre.  While this group was certainly one of the groups that helped bring heavy metal to the forefront in the late 70s and early 80s, other bands like AC/DC and Kiss were cranking out hits that made people aware of the genre as well.  And Black Sabbath was more than "heavy" enough.
Stegfucius
Philosopher King
of Fantasy Football
Site Administrator
GBRFLer

I love ''the Gridiron''!

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #47 on: May 13th, 2004, 2:13pm »

Well, those other bands, Black Sabbath included, to me at least, still had that "hard rock" sound.  Whereas, this band seemed to be the first to put that "metallic" sound in "heavy metal".  On the other hand, maybe it was just their get-up that makes me think this way.  ...  So, in any event, upon further review, maybe, I should have placed my emphasis on the penultimate word there rather than the "ultimate" word.
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #48 on: May 13th, 2004, 2:57pm »

on May 13th, 2004, 2:13pm, StegRock wrote:
On the other hand, maybe it was just their get-up that makes me think this way.

They certainly did have that look.  
Philly
UFF Primetime Prophet
# 29

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #49 on: May 13th, 2004, 5:06pm »

Since the weather here in Jersey is cranked like July, I thought I'd add another great summer song. Summer was a very important time for me growing up and I still get nostalgic thinking about the time spent between endless school years. Summertime by DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince (aka Will Smith) is one of those songs that brings me back to my social summers. The year was 1991 and it was my first "legal drinking age" summer. I remember one weekend I was lifeguarding at the lake I worked at. A church group had rented the beach for the weekend and I ended up chatting up one of the hotties who was there for the weekend. She mentioned that she was going to be a freshman at St. Joe's in Philly in the fall. So after some nice conversation, we arranged to meet at a dance club the following weekend. She said she was going to be bringing a friend and figured, cool, I'm down with that. The next weekend I went to pick her up and noticed that her friend looked really young. Then I find out that she's not going to St. Joe's University in the fall... she's going to St. Joe's Prep (a private high school - Rich Gannon is an alum). I thought she was 18 and it turned out she was only 14! We never made it to the dance club.

sitting with your friends and y'all remincise  
about the days growing up and the first person you kiss  
and as I think back makes me wonder how the
smell from a grill could spark up nostalgia

The song itself, as Will Smith explains in the first stanza, is kind of a slow groove--a break from the hardcore dance mixes. It reminds me of the relaxed summers I had--a break from the hardcore school year. This is a great song to just chill to.
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ...  10 Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

Previous topic|Next topic

Fantasyfootballer.com's Gridiron » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.1!
YaBB © 2000-2002,
Xnull. All Rights Reserved.

Most smilies provided by "MySmilies.com", "Jason's Smiley Collection" or "Clicksmilies.com".
"the Gridiron" Copyright © 2002-2023 - Product of FantasyFootballer.com. All rights reserved.